North Lancashire League round-up: Carnforth extend lead at the top

North Lancashire League action.
North Lancashire League action.

Carnforth Rangers extended their lead at the top of the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Premier Division to 11 points after a hard fought 3-1 win over Ingleton.

The table toppers opened up a 2-0 lead with goals scored by Gavin Darby and Bryon Nixon before Ingleton replied through Dan Tyrer.

Nixon however added his second and his side’s third to wrap up the victory.

The match of the day was at the other end of the table between next to bottom Bowerham and Bentham, who sat fourth from the foot of the table at the start of play.

Both sides had plenty of chances but it was Bowerham who took three of theirs with Andy McDermott, Tom Spencely and Tim Dalglish scoring the goals to seal a 3-0 win and leapfrog Bentham who drop into the relegation places.

Newly-promoted Swarthmoor Social Club are finding it tough in the top division and had no luck against College AFC, losing 2-1.

Josh Price scored for Swarthmoor with Eric Bradley and Alan Davies scoring for the College side, who moved up to joint third place with the win.

Swarthmoor sit third from bottom with a relegation battle on their hands.

Galgate’s five-game winning run came to and end as they were held to a 1-1 draw by mid-table Morecambe Royals.

The Royals dominated the opening 20 minutes but couldn’t break the deadlock.

Galgate then had a spell of their own but the game petered out to a 1-1 draw.

After a poor start to the season Highgrove are picking up points and finding some good form.

They outplayed bottom side Marsh United and strolled to a 5-0 victory, braces from Nathan Winder and Luke Bradley helping them to victory. Jack Archer scored the other goal.

In the Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup second round, the often postponed game between Fulwood White Hart and Tic Dyn/Overton/Middleton finally took place with the Preston side making it three wins over local sides with a 7-1 win, Elliott Arnold scoring the consolation goal for the Dynamos.

In the third round, Mayfield United travelled to the Manchester area to play Chaddertonians with several reserve team players being drafted in due to key players being unavailable.

Despite a spirited performance they went down 3-1, Daniel Martin scoring the Mayfield goal.

In the Division One Holdens Solicitors/Gibson divisional cup first round Freehold entertained Grange following their 4-4 draw in the league a few weeks ago.

The opening goal came five minutes before the break, Tom Woodburn guiding a free-kick home from six yards to give Grange the lead against the run of play.

Having taken the lead Grange improved in the second half and doubled their advantage on the hour with Joe Wellens taking advantage of a mix-up in the Freehold defence to score from close in.

Freehold fought back and after Phil Oliver was hauled down in the penalty area he picked himself up to make the score 2-1 and set up a frantic final 20 minutes.

But Grange held on and will host the winner of the Storeys and Millhead tie in round two.

In the league, leaders Moor Lane dropped two valuable points when they were held to a draw by a workmanlike Cartmel Reserves side.

Chances were few and far between in this end-to-end contest, Sal Palowski scoring for Moor Lane with Alastair Daggart replying for Cartmel.

Moor Lane’s lead at the top is now just three points with Heysham in second while Cartmel Reserves drop one place to fourth.

Arnside moved into third place after they demolished Tic Dyn/Overton/Middleton Reserves 8-1, James Thornton, Marco Thompson (2), Ben Lenton (2),

James Kirkham (2) and an own goal sealing the win.

Daniel Moulds scored a consolation for the Dynamos side.