North Lancashire League round-up: Carnforth drop points at the top

Share this article

Red-hot favourites Carnforth Rangers dropped two points in their bid to lift Baines Bagguley Penhale Premier Division title on Saturday.

The runaway leaders were held to a 1-1 draw by fourth in the table Ingleton as the sides enjoyed mixed fortunes from the penalty spot.

Action from the clash between Trimpell and AFC College on Saturday.

Action from the clash between Trimpell and AFC College on Saturday.

The North Yorkshire visitors worked hard in the first half to deny their lofty hosts much in the way of goalscoring opportunities and had the best chance themselves, only to see it go to waste.

Ingleton headed over another golden opportunity before Carnforth missed a penalty with 20 minutes remaining.

But the leaders were by this point much improved and five minutes later got another chance from the spot and this time Daniel Syson made no mistake.

Ingleton however were to be rewarded for their endeavours as they were awarded a late penalty from which Dan Tyrer made no mistake as his side picked up a deserved point.

Second in the table Cartmel and District also needed a spot kick to take all three points at struggling Bentham as they ran out 1-0 winners.

The lowly hosts were on top in the first half but couldn’t make their dominance count.

Bentham continued to have the best of the play but were made to pay as Matthew Burrows made no mistake from the spot midway through the second period.

The home side had three late claims for a penalty themselves but couldn’t claim a point with the defeat leaving them perilously close to the relegation places.

In the battle of fifth against sixth in the Premier Division College AFC ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at Trimpell.

The victory was College’s first since November 23.

It is a period however that has only consisted of six games due to the recent bad weather.

A depleted Bowerham, missing seven of their regular players, still got the better of Swarthmoor as they ran out 3-0 winners.

The patched up team impressed with Robin Dagliesh bagging a brace and Tom Spencely also on the mark.

In the third round of the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup top division Caton United were second best for most of the opening period against Storeys of Division One.

The lower-ranked side may have had the better chances on home soil but they were made to pay by the more clinical Caton who ran out 4-1 winners to move into round four.

Adam Lund gave Caton the lead on the half hour before Scott Tremble’s 20 yard shot quickly made it 2-0.

The hosts got their reward when Luke Foxcroft reduced the arrears to one before half time and they piled on the pressure after the break.

But it was Caton who got the decisive next goal as Nathan Jackson restored the Premier Division side’s two-goal advantage.

Winger Christian Sawacki sped past his marker before completing the scoring as Caton advanced to host Bowerham in round four.

Elsewhere in cup competition in the third round of the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Remembrance Cup Morecambe Royals Reserves were 6-1 victors over Marsh United Reserves.

The tie was moved from Willow Lane to Salt Ayre at the last minute but the venue made no difference to the Royals who ran out convincing winners.

Luke Suligowski was fouled in the area and picked himself up to score the opener for Morecambe.

David Atkinson soon made it 2-0 but Marsh showed there was still life in the tie as Sam Walmsley fired in an unstoppable shot to reduce the arrears to one at the break.

Marsh had chances to level things up but Joe Rowlands soon made it 3-1 to break the visitors’ spirit.

Jamie Bradbury, Nick Edmonds and Craig Berry completed the scoring as the Royals set up a semi-final against either Mayfield United Reserves and Caton United Reserves who play on Saturday, March 15.

The Baines Bagguley Penhale team of the month for February is Carnforth Rangers.