North Lancashire League round-up: Carnforth close in on Premier Division title

Caton United Reserves have won the Division Three title.
Caton United Reserves have won the Division Three title.

Carnforth Rangers inched closer to the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division title after drawing 0-0 against a very good and competitive College AFC side.

Both sides did have chances to win but a draw was probably the fairest result.

Nearest challengers Caton United could have narrowed the gap but they also were held to a 0-0 draw by fourth placed Cartmel in their midweek game.

Third placed Ingleton are probably out of the title race however after being thrashed at home by another inconsistent side, Morecambe Royals, who proved that on their day they can beat anyone.

Ingleton probably played their worst football of the season so far when they were overrun by the hard-working Royals side.

The Royals went on to win 4-0 with goals from Kieron O’Connor and a hat-trick from man of the match Jamie Durnan and it could have been more.

Carnforth, who are the only unbeaten team in the league, remain 16 points clear of Caton but have played four games more.

Highgrove, for so long sliding down the table, have struck form at the right time in their bid to avoid relegation.

They had two very good midweek wins when they beat College AFC 1-0 and followed that up with a 4-0 thrashing of last seasons Champions TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton.

They then took the short journey to play Galgate in what turned out to be a dour game, a game that was not up to the standard of the Premier Division.

The game got off to a poor start when the match referee limped off after 15 minutes with a hamstring problem.

Highgrove’s Hughie Burke volunteered to referee the remainder of the game and did an excellent job and was thanked by Galgate for his handling of the game.

He awarded Galgate a penalty for a rash challenge after just 20 minutes of taking the whistle.

Nathan Bindless was entrusted with the penalty kick, but unfortunately for Galgate he missed to keep the scores level.

Not many further chances were created as Highgrove picked up another welcome if not lucky point which puts them seven points above the drop zone.

Last season’s champions TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton look doomed to be relegated after their 4-0 defeat to Bentham.

Bentham deserved their victory, with goals coming from Tom Lister, Tom Beckley (2) and a Drew Sharman own goal.

Caton United Reserves won the Division Three title last week.

They travelled to Preesall and Pilling for a midweek game, emerging as 5-3 winners to secure their promotion.

They then entertained Torrisholme and beat them fairly comfortably 3-1 with Rik Eaves, Richard Jebb and veteran Danny Thompson scoring the goals.

In reply Torrisholme’s goal was an own goal scored by Iain Pierrepoint the Caton ‘keeper.