North Lancashire League round-up: Carnforth held at Bentham

Double winners Carnforth Rangers are showing a lack of form at just the wrong time in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Premier League.

Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 12:00 pm
North Lancashire League.

They travelled to Bentham on Saturday and met a team that were hard to beat.

Bentham had far more possession than Carnforth in the first half and deservedly led 2-1 at the break with goals from Ted Harrison and Ryan Preston with Ryan Greenland scoring for Carnforth.

Carnforth did improve in the second half but couldn’t get past a well organised Bentham defence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chances were few and far between until the 88th minute when Bentham conceded a needless free-kick just outside the penalty area which led to Carnforth snatching a draw against the run of play, Kyle Davies beating the Bentham keeper with a superb shot.

Bowerham gained revenge and pride after beating Storeys in a titanic game.

Storeys were always dangerous going forward and looked as though they would score every time they attacked.

In Liam Jeffries they had a player who would punish Bowerham if they gave him half a chance but they kept a firm grip on him, restricting him to only a handful of opportunities.

Bowerham played really good football for the whole game but still could not get a stranglehold on a game that could have gone either way.

However, goals from the excellent Tom Spenceley, Luke Foxcroft (2) and brother John Foxcroft earned Bowerham the win, Tim Percival, Liam Jeffries and Gareth Turner scored for Storeys.

This 4-3 win moved Bowerham up one place and off the foot of the table.

Cartmel and District were beaten by Morecambe Royals 2-1 in a close game.

The Royals were the better side in the first half and deserved to be in the lead with goals from Nick Edmonds and Gareth Holmes.

At one stage the Royals looked to be cruising to an easy win but a penalty converted by Matthew Burrows brought Cartmel back into the game and had the Royals hanging on at times.

With late chances the Royals could have made the game safe earlier but at the end they just managed to hang on as Cartmel threw everyone forward looking to snatch a draw.

The eagerly awaited Caton United against Marsh United game didn’t live up to all the hype going into the match.

The better football was played by the Caton side and they had more chances with the Marsh keeper making three really outstanding saves to deny Lund and Jackson.

Caton did take the lead, Nathan Jackson scoring from close in.

With 20 minutes remaining Caton took a 2-0 lead when left full back Christian Sawacki collected the ball just outside his own penalty area and hared down the wing before putting an inch-perfect cross to the feet of Adam Lund at the far post.

His control was very good and his shot perfect with the keeper still guarding the front post.

Within two minutes Marsh were back in the game as they also attacked down the left wing, a cross into the area and near to the penalty spot caused the Caton keeper and defenders all kinds of problems before Alex Thwaite nudged the ball back as he tried to clear it, but only saw the ball trickle over the goal line and into the net.

The two teams meet again this Saturday this time in the Lancashire Amateur Cup.