North Lancashire League: McGrath on the spot for Highgrove

In the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup first round, Highgrove Reserves beat Ingleton Reserves 1-0 in what was a re-run of the final from last season.

Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 11:33 am
Updated Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 12:34 pm
North Lancashire League.

The defences were generally on top until the last few minutes when Ingleton conceded a penalty which was duly dispatched by Louis McGrath.

In round two Highgrove will be at home to Carnforth Rangers Reserves.

In the second round Mayfield United Reserves struggled to get past FC Brittania Reserves, the team at the bottom of Division Three.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Brittania adapted to the conditions far better than their opponents and were unlucky to lose 3-1 to a more experienced Mayfield side.

Gary Smith, Michael Allan and Aidan McNae scored for Mayfield with Aidan Pashmore scoring the goal of the game for the Brittania side.

In round three Mayfield will be at home again to the winners of Heysham Reserves, TIC Dyn/Overton Reserves or Storeys Reserves.

In the Sam Price Memorial Cup first round Mayfield United entertained Storeys in a game spoilt by the conditions of a hard pitch only passed fit at kick-off time.

Both teams worked hard to win the game but the conditions were not suited to either team who like to play football on the ground.

The game was close throughout and one goal scored by Jordan Theobald was enough to settle the tie in favour of Mayfield.

In round two they will be away to Highgrove FC.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Division Two, leaders Grange took the long trip to play fourth-placed Lancaster Rovers Reserves in what promised to be the match of the day and on any other day it would have been.

The game was spoilt by the hard ground making good football difficult.

Both teams played as well as the conditions allowed with Lancaster Rovers slightly the better side in the early stages.

It was no surprise when Tony Smith put Rovers ahead with a well-struck goal.

The game ebbed and flowed with Smith scoring his second before Nathan Howse got the third for Rovers.

Grange never faltered in their quest to get something from the game, their player-manager Lee Harrison led his team brilliantly and scored the goal of the game with Steven Bleasdale scoring the second but the third goal just wouldn’t come.

This win puts the Rovers into third place, two points behind Grange and with two games in hand.