North Lancashire League: Galgate dump Carnforth out of Challenge Cup

Galgate FC 2014-2015. Picture: Tom Greaves
Galgate FC 2014-2015. Picture: Tom Greaves
Share this article

Galgate dumped a depleted Carnforth Rangers out of the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup at the second round stage on Saturday.

The visitors were 3-0 victors in the battle of the top two in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Premier Division with Rangers without seven first-team players.

Once Galgate took the lead with a goal from Jonathon Pedder the result never looked in doubt with their defence dealing with whatever Carnforth threw at them.

Lee Clarke and Steve McMinn scored the other goals to round off a fine performance to earn an away game at the winners of the Freehold and Trimpell and Bare Rangers tie on a date to be arranged.

Division One bottom side Grange, without a point all season, came within a whisker of upsetting Premier Division Morecambe Royals as they lost out 3-2.

Sam Woodburn’s own goal turned out to be decisive with the Royals’ other goals coming from Johnny Durnan and Steve Howley. Tom Woodburn and Steve Bleasdale scored for Grange.

In the third round Morecambe Royals will be away again this time to College AFC.

Also in the Senior Challenge Cup Westgate Wanderers edged out Millhead 5-3 in a thrilling end-to-end game.

Both sides competed well and the result could have gone either way up until the last 10 minutes.

The excellent Ryan Worrall opened the scoring for Westgate with a cracking finish with the other goals coming courtesy of Kevin Armistead and a hat-trick from man of the moment and the match Steve Copeland,

Millhead replied through two excellent Chris Cottam strikes and a goal for David Cowperthwaite.

Westgate will host Premier Division Moor Lane in the next round.

In Premier Division action Bowerham slipped to the bottom of the table with a 3-2 defeat to third in the table Caton United.

Caton dominated the opening stages and took the lead through leading scorer Nathan Jackson who unmarked headed home a right-wing cross from eight yards.

Steve Oliver made it two shortly after, capitalising on an empty net to fire a first-time shot home from 18 yards.

The young Bowerham side weren’t out of it however and were awarded a penalty in the 43rd minute with Luke Foxcroft picking himself up to send stand-in ‘keeper Lee Marshall the wrong way and make it 2-1 at the break.

It was Caton who had the better chances in the second half and the high-fliers were not to be denied with Christian Sawicki restoring their two-goal advantage on 70 minutes.

Sawicki broke up a Bowerham attack before racing the length of the field and exchanging passes with first Jackson and then Oliver before firing home.

Bowerham kept coming however and John Foxcroft completed a fine move to pull a goal back with three minutes remaining.

It set up a tense finale but Caton held on as Bowerham slipped to the foot of the table.

College AFC’s upturn in form continued with a good point in their 1-1 draw against Highgrove.

The visitors are another side beginning to find their feet after a miserable start to the season.

Both sides played well and had late chances to win the game but a draw was a fair result after Russell Moore had scored for College and Liam Breslin was on target for Highgrove.