North Lancashire League: Cup holders Caton beaten on penalties

Holders Caton United are out of the Sam Price Memorial Cup after losing out on penalties to Bowerham in the second round.

Tuesday, 20th January 2015, 1:24 pm
North Lancashire League.

The defences were on the top in the opening stages with neither ‘keeper having a save to make until the 35th minute.

Lee Marshall had to be at his best to keep out a Tom Spenceley effort when he dived low to his right to turn the ball round the post.

Neither side had the cutting edge to open up the opposition’s defence and the first-half petered out without a goal being scored.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The second half was almost the same but with a few clear-cut chances created, mainly from the Caton side with Sam Kirkby probing for an opening.

He had two decent strikes for goal but was too far out to trouble the ‘keeper.

At the end of 90 minutes it was still a stalemate at 0-0.

Extra-time saw the Bowerham keeper make three outstanding saves, first from Jackson then two from Kirkby before Caton made the breakthrough.

With just seven minutes of the first period of extra-time played a right-wing cross to the far post found Jackson but his misdirected header from two yards out only found Matthew Buczynski who headed into the net to give Caton lead that had been coming.

Bowerham did attack with more urgency but again their forwards came upon a hard-working defence that was not going to yield.

Bowerham started the second half in a more determined mood and took the game to Caton but never really troubled the Caton ‘keeper.

With six minutes remaining Bowerham’s persistence paid off rather fortunately when a Spenceley effort was adjudged to have crossed the line by the referee much to the annoyance of the Caton side.

Neither side managed to find the goal that would have settled the tie before penalties but Bowerham had to thank their ‘keeper to thank a fine save with time almost up.

The game went to a shoot-out and it was the holders who lost their second of the season, being knocked out 4-2 with two poor efforts from 12 yards easily saved by the Bowerham ‘keeper as his team set up a semi-final trip to Ingleton.

In Division One of the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League, Bolton-le-Sands travelled to play Cartmel and District Reserves for the second time in four weeks.

The last time Bolton-le-Sands went to Cartmel they conceded double figures.

This time the game was very close with Bolton-le-Sands playing with their strongest team for weeks.

Cartmel took the lead with a well-worked goal scored by Ryan McKenny.

Bolton-le-Sands attacked at every opportunity in the hope of at least getting one point from the game.

However, their hopes were dashed in the closing minutes when Ryan Patterson scored from the penalty spot to give his side the points.

Grange, bottom of the division, entertained Millhead, a team they had beaten 4-3 in the reverse fixture.

Grange were certainly in high spirits for this game and were looking for another win to keep alive their hopes of avoiding relegation.

They started off well but couldn’t make the breakthrough as Millhead were determined not to allow Grange another win.

The man responsible for not allowing Grange to win was man of the match David Cowperthwaite who scored a fine hat-trick in an unplayable display.

All three goals were of the highest standard, his strike partner Chris Cottam scored the other.

The consolation from Grange was scored by their best player on the day, John Woodburn.