North Lancashire League: Caton seal second spot as reserves lift cup

848-848-Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup winners Caton United.
848-848-Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup winners Caton United.

Caton United got the point they needed to finish as runners-up in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Premier Division with a 7-2 thrashing of Bowerham on Saturday.

A couple of poor results had seen Morecambe Royals close the gap but United won in emphatic style to complete a fine week that also saw them lift the 848-848-Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup with a surprise 3-1 victory over unbeaten champions Carnforth Rangers at Lancaster City’s Giant Axe.

The Royals went into Saturday knowing they could draw level with a large goal difference swing.

They set about closing the gap when they entertained Marsh United and promptly beat them by 8-1 until the news filtered through that Caton had got the point they needed.

Marsh themselves had climbed out of relegation trouble with a midweek victory over TIC Dynamos which condemned last season’s Premier Division champions to the drop.

Swarthmoor Social Club are the other side relegated to Division One.

Storeys are Division One champions who despite losing five of their first seven games came through to knock Moor Lane into second spot.

Freehold FC and Tic Dyn/Overton/Middleton Reserves have both been relegated into Division Two.

Going up as from the second division are champions Mayfield United and runners-up Lancaster Rovers.

Trimpell Reserves have been relegated into Division Three with either Highgrove Reserves or Marsh United Reserves set to join them.

Caton United Reserves are Division Three champions just ahead of CC Wanderers.

It was double joy for Caton Reserves who lifted the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup on Friday with a dramatic 3-2 win over Division Two Ingleton Reserves.

Favourites Ingleton took the lead on eight minutes when a defensive mix-up allowed Mark Dobson to intercept and guide the ball past a helpless Iain Pierrepoint in the Caton goal.

Ingleton continued to have the better chances but Caton equalised out of the blue 20 minutes from time, man of the match Billy Duckworth firing in a 25-yard strike off the underside of the bar.

Less than a minute later Caton were in front, Rick Eaves capitalising on a goalkeeper error, but Ingleton were level seven minutes from time, Chris Bibby reacting first to slide the ball home.

Caton went in front decisively in the final minute of the 90, Shane Roche poaching at the far post to score.

Ingleton then wasted a golden chance in stoppage time to level things up as a pulsating final came to a close.

Elsewhere, Mayfield United Reserves have won the Division Four title with the young Carnforth Rangers A side second.