North Lancashire League: Caton and Carnforth to meet in Giant Axe final

North Lancashire League football.
North Lancashire League football.

Caton United and Carnforth Rangers will meet in the 848-848 Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup final later this month.

The pair will clash at Giant Axe on Monday, April 28 after coming through their respective semi-finals this week.

Nathan Jackson scored the only goal of the game as Caton saw off Highgrove.

Rangers, playing in a cup semi-final on successive Saturdays, were made to work for their victory over Ingleton.

Chris Plevey gave the Baines Bagguley Penhale Premier Division leaders the lead but Ingleton deservedly levelled things up 16 minutes from time through Dan Tyrer’s penalty.

It looked like the momentum was with the visitors but Gavin Darby got the winner for Carnforth eight minutes from time.

Division Four side Carnforth Rangers A went out after putting up a tremendous fight against Division Two side Ingleton Reserves in the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson/Remembrance Cup semi-finals,

The young Carnforth side were the lowest ranked team still in the competition but were every bit as good as their more illustrious rivals and were much faster to the ball.

It was Ingleton however who finally came out on top but it took extra-time to separate the two teams.

Joe Burchill and Ben Sharp scored well worked goals for Carnforth with veterans Chris Bibby and Jonathon Boadle replying for Ingleton to send the tie into extra time.

When most people were thinking the younger Carnforth side would take over they did not reckon on the fighting spirit of the ‘golden oldies’ of Ingleton who gave as much as they got and stunned the Carnforth team when Boadle scored his second and what turned out to be the winner.

In the other semi-final, Division Three side Caton United Reserves travelled to meet Division Two team and hot favourites to win the cup Morecambe Royals Reserves.

The game was hard fought but it was Caton who showed more determination and a will to win the ball.

They played some lovely neat combination which left the Royals chasing shadows in the first half, but against the run of play the Royals took the lead after 20 minutes when a long ball was not dealt with by Ian Pierrepoint, the Caton keeper, which allowed David Atkinson the easy task of tapping into an empty net from close range.

Royals continued to give the ball away which allowed Caton to mount plenty of attacks. After 30 minutes Caton got the goal they deserved when Rik Eaves shot into the net from just inside the penalty area to equalise.

Within five minutes Caton went into he lead when out of nothing and from 22 yards Eaves scored his second with an unstoppable shot that hit the post on its way in.

The Royals did start to make a game of it with Caton having some hairy moments in the minutes leading up to half-time.

Within seconds of the restart the Royals drew level when Nick Edmonds scored a great goal from fully 25 yards.

Caton went back into the lead when John Willetts won the ball in the Royals’ left back position, he cut inside and from 22 yards and curled a magnificent shot into the top corner to make it 3-2 giving the keeper no chance.

The Royals raised their game even more but went further behind 10 minutes later when man of the match Eaves scored the goal of the game when his 20 yard shot nestled into the top corner of the net to make it 4-2 and a shock was on the cards as he completed his hat-trick.

The Royals responded brilliantly and went all out looking to get back into the game but Willetts scored his second and his side’s fifth goal to finally sink the