North Lancashire League: Cartmel and Carnforth to meet in cup final

North Lancashire League action.
North Lancashire League action.

Cup specialists Cartmel lived up to their reputation with victory over Division Two Lancaster Rovers in the semi-final of the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup.

Matthew Burrows put the Premier Division ahead when he scored from close in as the defenders backed off him and once John Lord had scored the second goal there was no way back for the young Lancaster side.

Burrows and Lord then both doubled their accounts before Joel Drinkall scored the fifth for Cartmel.

Rovers did get on the scoresheet when Tom Staerke scored from the penalty spot to make the final score 5-1.

The second semi-final should have been the match of the day between the two top teams in the Premier Division, Carnforth Rangers and Caton United.

However it turned out to be a very one-sided game as Carnforth dominated after taking the lead just 10 minutes in.

Carnforth attacked down their left wing before Byron Nixon beat his marker and sent the ball into the near post.

Two Caton defenders had ample time to clear the ball but both stood still leaving it for each other allowing Gavin Darby to smash the ball into the net from six yards out.

On the half hour mark a long ball over the top found Caton’s last defender who controlled the ball well and had plenty of time to make a clearance but for some reason he hesitated and then tried to dribble round Nixon who had too much strength and took the ball off him. With no other defender nearby he then ran clear and scored quite easily to make the score 2-0.

Within five minutes of the second half it was 3-0 when a long pass out to the right wing saw Nixon, two Caton defenders and the keeper all trying to get to the ball, Nixon just got to it a fraction earlier and his toe-poke rolled into an unguarded net via an upright.

It did not take long before Damien Murphy got onto the scoresheet when from another mistake, he punished Caton with his side’s fourth goal.

The best goal of the game was then scored by Murphy who from 25 yards out curled his shot out of the reach of the ‘keeper and into the back of the net to make it 5-0 after 70 minutes.

The last goal came after a rasping shot from close in was too hot for the Caton keeper to handle, he dropped the ball at the feet of Mark Plevey who scored from two yards out.