Radcliffe Borough 1-4 Lancaster City

Lancaster City players celebrate.
Lancaster City players celebrate.

Despite being briefly marred by off the pitch events, there should be nothing taken away from what was a ruthless first half performance from the Dolly Blues at Radcliffe Borough.

With a game against New Mills, eventually postponed, in just two days, City were able to effectively win the game before half time and allowed head coach Darren Peacock to rest some key players with early substitutions.

A pre-kick off downpour ensured a fast playing surface for the duration of the game and Lancaster took no time in using it to their advantage.

Playing against a high Radcliffe back line, Jordan Connerton was able to play Tom Kilifin in on goal who, after turning past the last defender, fired a hard shot from the edge of the box into the bottom right corner.

All four of the Dolly Blues’ goals were taken from the same 20 yard range, and Ryan Winder took his turn on the ten minute mark to add his name to the scoresheet.

The winger picked his spot in the left corner as City began to race away with the lead.

Gavin Clark scored just his second goal of the season on 15 minutes with an accurate strike into the right corner past a helpless Chris Cheetham in the Radcliffe goal.

Connerton wrapped up the points after just 30 minutes as some abysmal defending by the hosts was put to the sword.

Breaking the offside trap with ease the striker rounded the keeper to calmly stroke the ball into an empty net for 4-0.

Kilifin had the chance to make it five just before half time but saw his placed effort palmed away by Cheetham, with Clark unable to convert the goal-line scramble that followed.

The second half in comparison was largely void of chances as City remained firmly in first gear to see the game out.

Cheetham did have one save to make as Clark stung the hands of the Boro stopper from a tight angle midway through the second 

The hosts did get the goal their improvement deserved when striker Bevan Burey raced in on goal from the right flank and hit a shot across Mike Hale to neatly find the bottom left corner to put the only blight on the visitors’ performance.

The game was delayed for ten minutes as the fracas on the sidelines took its course before the game was eventually restarted and played out without incident.

Lancaster City: Hale 7, Henry 8, Steel 7, Marshall 7, Elderton 6, Winder 8, Akrigg 7, Hunter 7 (Walker 65), Clark 8, Kilifin 8 (Taylor 78), Connerton 8 (Wearing 75)