Lancaster City 3-0 Prescot Cables

A GAME of two halves at Giant Axe saw Lancaster City score three goals and take all three points against Prescot Cables to go top of the league.

The first half was a somewhat lacklustre affair that had its memorable moments as Zach Clark had the best chances for Lancaster City in the opening exchanges, striking the outside of the post before cutting inside from the right flank minutes later only to shoot wide with an irate Lee Dodgson unmarked at the far post.

Prescot had one half chance blazed over from 20 yards before Alex Meaney produced the best moment of the half with a superbly struck curling effort from 25 yards, beating the keeper but crashing off the bar on the half hour mark.

The Dolly Blues had the majority of possession but struggled to utilise it and looked out of sorts.

It may have felt like one of those days as City struggled to create a clear chance whilst Alex Kenyon was replaced by Max Rothwell near the end of the first half following an injury as the Lancaster midfielder turned and fell awkwardly with a suspected knee sprain.

Tony Hesketh’s half time talk, sending the squad out early for the second half, produced a battling early display in a scrappy restart before Lancaster began to gain a foothold and got the breakthrough on the 54 minute mark.

Meaney beat three static defenders with some breathtaking footwork before whipping in a far post cross which Danny Hattersley hammered home on the volley.

With the deadlock broken, Prescot were forced to push further up the field in search of an equaliser and City capitalised just four minutes later.

On the 58 minute mark Clark played an inch perfect through ball to Hattersley who outpaced the Cables defence and deftly lifted the ball past the on-rushing keeper.

Prescot came close to pulling a goal back, rattling the bar from cross come shot free kick before the introductions of Billy McKenna and Dave Swarbrick in the second half continued Lancaster’s domination of the game, using their frightening pace to cause havoc in the Prescot defence.

McKenna latched onto a Swarbrick pass but could only find the side netting in City’s best chance before the third goal.

A City corner was cleared as far as Simon Wills who chipped the ball over the Prescot defence, trying to spring the offside trap, and an onside McKenna, all alone at the penalty spot, turned and rifled the ball into the top right corner to put the game beyond doubt at 3-0.

Meaney had a chance to cap off his own fantastic display with a goal but he volleyed a Swarbrick cross wide of the post in injury time.

Lancaster City were due to travel to Woodley Sports on Tuesday night before hosting Maine Road at Giant Axe in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round.

Lancaster City: Fearon 6, Henry 7, Duggan 7, Marshall 6, Elderton 7, Clark 8, Wills 8, Kenyon 6, Dodgson 6, Meaney 8, Hattersley 8. Subs: Wilson, Rothwell, McKenna, Swarbrick, Johnson

Star man: Alex Meaney. City’s hottest prospect on his best form.

Report: Jonathan Crossley.