Lancaster City 2-0 Wakefield

Lancaster City v Wakefield'Alex Kenyon challenges Wakefield keeper Jordan Yorath at a corner.
Lancaster City v Wakefield'Alex Kenyon challenges Wakefield keeper Jordan Yorath at a corner.

IT was a double dose of class in amongst the mediocre on Saturday that earned Lancaster City three points.

Second-half goals from man of the match Dave Swarbrick and substitute Lee Dodgson eventually lit up Giant Axe on an otherwise damp squib of a bonfire afternoon clash.

Chances throughout were few and far between as neither side could retain possession long enough to build attacks.

Wakefield’s tactics were obvious and inevitable, burly six foot-plus striker Tom Denton was the target and they hit him time and again.

Fortunately for the Dolly Blue’s his supporting cast were inept and spurned any chance he laid on from them, Demy Kyriacou the worst offender, missing two golden chances late on.

City struggled to settle, it was a hard-fought 90 minutes against an energetic opposition and an early goal was needed to break their spirit. It never really looked like coming though and the Dolly Blues were in for a long afternoon.

Swarbrick did engineer one effort but it was terrifically saved by Jordan Yorath in the Wakefield net as he tipped his right-footed strike around the post.

Danny Gregson came within inches of meeting a near-post corner in the only other first-half glimpse of the visitor’s net for the Dolly Blues.

Meanwhile Martin Fearon kept his concentration to pluck a routine catch out of the air after Luke Danville powered a header goal bound.

A decent sized crowd of 256 were made to wait until the 68th minute for being treated to a touch of magic. Inevitably it came from striker Swarbrick as he finally struck in the league in his third spell at the Axe.

Joe Bunney and Ryan Elderton were toiling by the corner flag before Bunney gained an inch of space and crossed behind Swarbrick, his first touch with his left was exquisite as it knocked the ball in front of him and past the defender, leaving him with a simple tap-in.

Bunney had worked tirelessly throughout with little luck or breaks and deserved his assist while Swarbrick was forced to drop deep, left and right, to try and spark attacks.

Ten minutes later and the game was put beyond doubt, unfortunately for the visitors it came in their best period of the game as they bravely fought on and were hit on the counter.

Dodgson broke through one-on-one with James Stansfield, got a lucky bounce and broke past him before striking brilliantly across Yorath into his left-hand corner.

Overall there was a sense of relief for all when the final whistle blew, it wasn’t a pretty 90 minutes and it was far from City’s best but they were barely troubled and got the job done for three points.

Lancaster City: Fearon 6, Egerton-Wilson 6, Duggan 6, Gregson 7, Kenyon 6, Carney 6, Clark 6 (Dodgson), Bunney 6 (Hattersley), Swarbrick 7, Rothwell 5 (Wills)

Subs not used: Henry, Meaney

Wakefield: Yorath, Wood, Tonks, Danville, Walton (Ryder 34), Stansfield, McGuire (Kane 68), Jones (Malcher 45), South, Denton, Kyriacou

Subs not used: Hilton, Milnes

Referee: Natalie Walker

Attendance: 256

Star man: Dave Swarbrick - For the most part City’s only threat and a brilliantly taken goal.