Lancaster City 1-2 Garforth Town

GARFORTH TOWN leapfrogged Lancaster City in the play-off race with a dramatic late win at Giant Axe.

An injury-time goal from centre-back Rob Pacey left the Dolly Blues distraught after spurning chance after chance in a tremendous second half.

The visitors were dangerous and quick in attack throughout and broke away twice in the opening twenty minutes to find Martin Fearon in good if unorthodox form.

The stopper first denied David Brown with his head after being caught far too far off his line, before making a fine save to deny Matt Mathers.

City looked, dangerous down either flank with Zac Clark and Tom Wood providing balance to the midfield and real pace.

The forward partnership of Dave Swarbrick and Lee Dodgson can be a delight to watch, creating chances and space for Clark and Wood and the former hit the post in City’s best chance of the opening stages.

City’s opener was inglorious and seemingly horrendously offside.

After some embarrassing defending – a theme in this game – the ball fell to Wood, who shot at the back of Simon Wills from a matter of yards, the ball was cleared as far as Ryan Elderton whose shot-cum-cross was bundled in inside the six yard box by Clark.

Clark’s run was later than the appearance of Wills but both looked to be offside; it wasn’t the first ropey decision from the same assistant who earlier gave Swarbrick offside from a Garforth back-pass.

Garforth’s equaliser was a difficult one to take for the Dolly Blues.

A high ball into the box found Danny Gregson out of position underneath it, he twisted in the air to head clear but got no distance on his header, the second bite of the cherry was

made a hash of by Gregson and Fearon with a striker sandwiched between them and the ball fell to Lawrence Hunter to score, a tad embarrassing again.

As ever, unperturbed going forward, City attacked wantonly and finished wastefully.

Clark was the main culprit, the winger had an excellent game but clearly left his shooting boots at home – his goal came from his thigh.

He side-footed and then volleyed efforts high over the bar when the ball fell to him after crosses, with Garforth goalkeeper Ben Higginson out of position, both times missing the target.

Then he raced through on goal after substitute Max Rothwell hooked the ball into the box but could only clip a shot wide.

Higginson brilliantly denied Alex Meaney a spectacular goal that would have crowned his brilliant off the bench cameo, the forward jinked past a defender before shooting from 25 yards, Higginson tipped the ball onto the bar and clear.

Almost inevitably in this cruel game the Dolly Blues were made to pay for their missed chances as a 93rd minute corner was bundled over the line by Rob Pacey to spark jubilant celebrations from the visitors.

Lancaster City: Fearon 7, Henry 8, Elderton 7, Gregson 6, Marshall 6, Kenyon 7, Clark 7, Wills 6, Swarbrick 7, Dodgson 7 (Rothwell 55), Wood 7 (Meaney 70)

Subs not used: Egerton-Wilson

Garforth Town: Higginson, Turner, Villerman, Fisher, Pacey, Price, Brown, Hotchkiss, Walker, Mathers (Small 62), Hunter (Thornton 76)

Subs not used: Turley, Lonaghan, Kelly

Referee: David McNamara

Attendance: 215

Starman: Rob Henry – A solid performance, strong in the tackle and used the ball well.