Lancaster City 1-2 Curzon Ashton

Mark Jackson heads in Lancaster's late goal in the FA Cup defeat to Curzon Ashton.
Mark Jackson heads in Lancaster's late goal in the FA Cup defeat to Curzon Ashton.
Share this article

Lancaster City lost for the first time this season and dropped out of the FA Cup after Curzon Ashton came out on top in their replay on Tuesday night.

The league leaders were just that bit slicker at Giant Axe and took advantage of their unfortunate lead after City captain Neil Marshall turned the ball into his own net just before half-time.

It was an unavoidable error for Marshall, Curzon’s winger Chris Rowney did brilliantly down the right wing to keep the ball active and whip in a terrific ball that had to be dealt with.

The skipper found himself twisted in the six-yard box and deflected the ball into his own net trying to divert it away from Connor Hampson at the back post.

However it was just about deserved for the visitors who should have edged into the lead earlier but Matthew Warbuton skied an effort from 10 yards after more good work down the right from Rowney.

Marshall and Glenn Steel were once again terrific, they have clicked brilliantly are comfortable on the ball and give off an air of invincibility.

Simon Wearing was also excellent and had a good chance to score. Spinning and running into the box he attempted to bend an effort goalwards with the outside of his right boot when a left-footed strike looked easier and it narrowly went over the bar.

The former Morecambe youngster was a bright spark for City, pressing and harassing defenders throughout and linking up well with Mark Jackson.

But City were two down 10 minutes into the second half. Caught short on the counter attack City were stretched and Rowney found space aplenty at the back post to head past Michael Hale in the City net.

Substitute Billy Akrigg lit up Giant Axe with his acrobatic effort on 80 minutes but found Curzon ‘keeper Matthew Green in fine form to save, Jackson had a sniff from the rebound but couldn’t quite force the matter.

The swirling wind made things interesting in the closing stages and the Dolly Blues used it to their advantage to peg back a goal.

A hoof up from Hale carried and carried all the way into the box were it was nicely diverted into the net by the head of Jackson in the final minute.

With seconds left on the clock Curzon winger Ryan Brooke tangled with Marshall in the right back area and stupidly stamped on the City skipper and deservedly saw red.

A slight tarnish on an excellent game, it was close throughout and needed a dose of luck to swing it one way or the other.

Lancaster City: Hale 7, Henry 6, Elderton 5, Steel 7, Marshall 7, Mahoney 5 (Akrigg 74), Wills 7, Hunter 8, Wearing 8 (Sawicki 89), Jackson 7, Kilifin 7 (Ince 83). Subs not used: Clark, Hudson, Winder, Millar.

Referee: Joe Hull

Attendance: 249

Star man: Simon Wearing - Deserved a goal for his efforts, tricky and hardworking will give any defender trouble