Lancaster City 1-1 Droylsden

Ricky Mercer and Jacob Davis battle for the ball on Saturday. Picture: Tony North
Ricky Mercer and Jacob Davis battle for the ball on Saturday. Picture: Tony North

Lancaster City were held by Droylsden as their five-game winning run came to an end at Giant Axe on Saturday.

City dominated possession in the first half but were unable to break the deadlock with the visitors improving after the interval.

Finally with 15 minutes to go Lancaster got themselves in front as Zach Clark headed in from close range after some fantastic work by Ryan Winder.

The Dolly Blues were unable to hold their lead though as Droylsden went straight down the other end of the pitch and earned themselves a penalty which Billy Hasler-Cregg converted.

Lancaster started brightly, dominating possession, with their first chance falling to Craig Carney whose shot-cum-cross was cleared just two yards from the goal-line.

Despite this attacking intent the Dolly Blues looked shaky at the back and were prone to the counter attack.

Phil Brown’s side continued to have the best of the chances however and should have gone in front on 20 minutes but Ricky Mercer could only head over from 12 yards.

Lancaster tired towards the end of the first half and allowed Droylsden more of the ball with their best chance falling to Hasler-Cregg, whose low shot from close-range was saved by Mike Hale.

Droylsden continued to improve after the interval and should have scored when an excellent winding run from Domaine Rouse resulted in Ben Barber finding himself one-on-one with Hale but he could only stab the ball wide in a real let-off for City.

The Dolly Blues then had the ball in the back of the net as Tom Kilifin nodded in Winder’s cross only for him to be adjudged offside.

The hosts didn’t have to wait much longer for their opening goal though as Clark headed home Winder’s cross from three yards before being mobbed by the City fans.

Lancaster’s joy was short-lived however as Droylsden won a penalty straight from the kick-off with Hasler-Cregg placing his shot in the top-right hand corner with the ball finding the back of net despite Hale getting a hand to it.

Droylsden, buoyed by their speedy equaliser, then pushed for a winner with Dominic Smith coming closest as his hard-hit shot was cleared off the line by Tom Watson.

Brown’s men will have been disappointed not to take all three points but their unbeaten run now stands at seven Evo-Stik First Division North games.

Lancaster City: Hale, Henry, G Clark, Davis, Marshall, Mercer, Winder (Shearwood), Akrigg, Kilifin, Carney (Z Clark), Cummings (Watson). Subs not used: Rogerson.

Droylsden: James, Clarke, Gibson (Edmunson-Rouse), Woods, Hampson, O’Brien, Grimshaw (Pino), Rouse, Zibaka (Smith), Barber, Hasler-Cregg. Subs not used: Daly, Murphy.

Referee: Bob Roberts.

Attendance: 266.