Farsley AFC 1-3 Lancaster City

THE season couldn’t have started any better for Lancaster City, as they picked up all three points at Farsley thanks to comeback goals from Jack Duggan, Max Rothwell and Billy McKenna.

On a fairly bright day in West Yorkshire, the Dolly Blues faced a tough test against their fellow promotion contenders, who boasted a squad with Conference North experience, with the majority of players having played for the club in that league when they were known as Farsley Celtic, including former City striker Ben Jones.

The first 45 minutes was a nervy start of season affair for both teams, battling for most of the half in the middle of the park.

City struggled to adapt their quick passing game to the less than flat surface whilst Farsley took a physical approach to the game which the referee was sometimes a little too happy to allow.

The Dolly Blues’ one real chance of the half saw a Danny Hattersley header well saved down to his right by Tom Taylor in the Farsley goal.

The best chance of the half fell to Farsley’s Gareth Grant who latched onto a stray defensive pass but couldn’t beat City stopper Martin Fearon who made a fantastic reaction save to keep the score 0-0.

There was no stopping Farsley’s opening goal. Just one minute after the restart Grant found himself one on one with Fearon and coolly slotted the ball past the City keeper from the right side of the penalty area.

The lead, however, was short lived. City took only a couple of minutes to equalise after finally starting to pressurise the Farsley goal and it was Duggan on target, the on-loan Fleetwood defender heading home a Zach Clark corner on 50 minutes.

The Dolly Blues were in ascendancy from that moment on and just seven minutes later they took a deserved lead when Rothwell surprised everyone with an unstoppable header that David Briggs on the Farsley goal line could only help on its way into the net.

The game then took on a more open feel at last, with Lancaster going for the killer third goal and Farsley desperately trying to get back into the contest.

McKenna and Lee Dodgson both had chances, with McKenna hitting two gilt edged chances wide and Dodgson hitting a 20 yard free kick up and out of the ground.

There was always a sense there was going to be another goal and eventually it came in stoppage time.

McKenna was played clean through by Rothwell and he poked the ball home from 12 yards to cap off a fantastic day for the Dolly Blues and give them the best possible start to the season.