Curzon Ashton 4-1 Lancaster City

editorial image

As the weather took a turn for the better on Saturday at Tameside, the Dolly Blues had hoped their season could do the same following their FA Cup win the previous Tuesday.

City’s new goalkeeper, Danny McDonald from AFC Fylde, was in the line-up as City looked to sure up their mistake-prone defence.

Five minutes after the kick-off, however, it was clear that whilst the sun was shining Lancaster were still under a dark and gloomy looking cloud.

Kristian Dennis was the only one in the box to react after a tame cross glided across goal, and it was a far too simple back-post tap-in with McDonald left stranded by a static defence.

McDonald had to be sharp straight after the restart as Dennis made light work of a chaotic looking defence, but couldn’t beat the out-stretched leg of the City stopper.

City had an early chance in the match to bring the game level on 10 minutes.

Dave Swarbrick curled a free kick onto the inside of the post, but the rebounding ball was met only by the Curzon defence with City again playing without a recognized striker.

Curzon doubled their advantage after 25 minutes and were cruising.

A marauding run and tidy footwork from Dennis gave him space to dodge some desperate defensive tackles and slot home to double his and Curzon’s tally.

Lancaster were lucky to escape further damage when the hosts missed a golden opportunity as striker Tony Evans missed a free header from four yards out just before half time.

After the restart normal service was resumed when on 48 minutes Evans finished off a nice move and cross from Curzon winger Matty Kay as Curzon dominated.

McDonald pulled off a fantastic point blank save to deny Evans a second, whilst he had the post to thank for stopping efforts from Robinson and Blackshaw.

Simon Wills, with a stand out energetic performance, gave City a lifeline after some great work ended with some good luck as his cross from the right deflected off defender Hunt into the net.

Sadly, the stroke of luck failed to materialise into a change of momentum.

Curzon went on to hit the upright twice more from Dennis and Evans before the former finished off his hat-trick and the contest in the 90th minute.

A well struck curling effort from the edge of the box sealed a thoroughly deserved win for Curzon and heaped the misery on a sub-par looking City.

Lancaster City: McDonald 8, G.Clark 6, Stringfellow 4, Marshall 5, Elderton 5, Z.Clark 6 (Kilifin), Wills 7, Wilson 6 (Carney), Wainwright 6, Rothwell 5 (Bunney), Swarbrick 6

Subs not used: McKenna, Gregson

Starman: Danny McDonald – Looked solid whilst keeping the scoreline respectable.