Neil Marshall column: The craziest game I’ve ever played in

Neil Marshall in action against Ossett Town.
Neil Marshall in action against Ossett Town.

Saturday was easily the craziest game I’ve ever played in and unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons.

I simply don’t know how to describe the second half.

For 40-plus minutes we seemed to be in control at 2-0 until the unbelievable happened.

Ossett Town’s first goal was a bit of a melee in the box from a corner that just crept in and at that point I was just disappointed that the ‘consolation goal’ had spoiled our clean sheet so late in the game.

How wrong could I have been?

The next two goals happened so quickly that I don’t remember them that well.

The second was a good strike into the top corner and the third I remember Razza (Ryan Elderton) was just about to clear the ball when he lost his footing and clean through their lad squared the ball so they could score a tap in.

There were heated exchanges in the dressing room afterwards.

We hadn’t played well in the first-half and Danny McDonald kept us in the game with a couple of good early saves.

They started brightly and caused us problems early doors but having said that we found ourselves 1-0 up with Swabba (Dave Swarbrick) scoring a great header from a set piece.

And soon after that Ryan Winder put a great ball through for Scholesy (Simon Wills) to slot home and put us two goals to the good.

Going in at half-time we knew we hadn’t played anything like we should have done but somehow we were 2-0 up.

And what happened from there is something of a blur but I think we just have to put it down as a freak five minutes and make sure we make amends in our next game.

On Saturday we travel to Wakefield who are struggling at the bottom of the table but they’ve already beaten us twice at Giant Axe this season in league and cup.

That shows there are no easy games in this league and we owe our fantastic, best in the league, away fans a performance, and I’m sure we’ll deliver.