Morecambe see midfielder recalled by Burnley and loaned out to Accrington Stanley
Morecambe have been dealt a blow after seeing loan midfielder Adam Phillips recalled by Burnley.
The 23-year-old, who had joined the Shrimps on a season-long deal last summer, has been recalled by his parent club and loaned to Accrington Stanley for the rest of the campaign.
Phillips now heads to League One after scoring 10 times in helping Morecambe to sixth place in League Two, as well as progressing to round three of the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.
In all, taking last season’s truncated loan spell with the club into account, Phillips netted 14 times in 44 appearances for the Shrimps.
Morecambe manager believes their transfer window is closed for now
Bolton Wanderers 1 Morecambe 0: Liverpool loanee's goal sees off the Shrimps
Thomas' superb round is a Winn-er for Morecambe Golf Club in prestigious Clayton Trophy
Morecambe youngster completes Sunderland move
Morecambe firm backs Roman Fury - brother of Tyson Fury - as he prepares for debut fight
Stanley manager John Coleman said: “He’s a good player, he’s done well in his loan spell for Morecambe and hopefully he’ll kick on for us.
“We are lacking goals from central midfield and he has an eye for goal, he gives us an attacking option from midfield as well as Sean McConville, Matt Butcher and Jon Russell.
“I don’t think we’ve had as many goals from midfield that I’d like, we’ve only had five or six and I’m looking for us to score more.”
Phillips added: “It’s a late one but I am delighted to be here, it’s a great opportunity for me and I can’t wait to meet all the lads and can’t wait to get going.
“I enjoyed my time at Morecambe, it’s been a great season for me so far. I have scored goals and played lots of minutes, and that’s what I wanted to do.
“The manager there has given me a lot of praise and I am looking forward to carrying on playing well.
"This is a step up and I am looking forward to it, to playing in this league and the challenge ahead.”
Ironically, Morecambe boss Derek Adams had anticipated a quiet deadline day at the Mazuma Stadium.
He had been asked after Saturday’s defeat to Tranmere Rovers about the likelihood of any movement in or out of the club on Monday.
Speaking then, the Morecambe boss said: “I wouldn’t have thought so, it would be very surprising if it was either way.
“I think it’s important that we keep the group together and move forward.”
Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here