Morecambe Ladies see off Chester-le-Street to progress in FA Cup

Hannah Paling on the ball against Chester-le-Street.
Hannah Paling on the ball against Chester-le-Street.

Morecambe Ladies moved into the second round of the FA Cup with a 5-3 win over Chester-le-Street on Sunday.

Morecambe made a bright start but it soon turned into a disaster when after three minutes Nichole Havery tapped the ball past the goalkeeper and into the net.

Harvery then had a chance to double Chester-le-Street’s lead but she fired her shot wide of the post.

Jo Norris got Morecambe back into the game when a free kick was rolled to her and in acres of space she let fly to make it 1-1.

Within a minute Morecambe were ahead when Hannah Pailing won the ball back and gave it to Megan Doherty whose vision provided a great ball through for Emma Kay to race past Kimberley Wilde before lifting and blasting the ball past the advancing keeper.

Morecambe continued to push forwards but with 37 minutes gone a break from the visitors saw Vikki Rider pick her spot and squeeze her shot into the corner of the hosts’ goal.

The spirit had now returned and Chester-le-Street looked menacing – with Collin racing down the left to the byline her cross was met by Havery to restore the lead.

Morecambe had more urgency in the second half, Street needing to see the game out, and a rather lacklustre affair burst into life when the ball fell nicely for Paling and her high looping shot caught Cath Clough off her line and the ball sweetly hit the back of the net to make it 3-3.

Emma Kay almost edged Morecambe ahead with a header from a Emily Hutton cross but it flew over the bar but her persistence led to two more chances, a shot blocked then selfishly setting up Paling when perhaps she should have had a go herself.

With the score at 3-3 the game moved into extra-time and the deadlock was broken in the first period when Pailing shot from the edge of the area and her effort finished up in the bottom left-hand corner.

The game was finally put beyond doubt when Paling found Laura Ivinson in space, and she slipped the ball past Clough and into the net.