Morecambe 4-3 Chesterfield

editorial image

Morecambe produced a sensational second-half comeback to shock League 2 leaders Chesterfield at the Globe Arena.

In one of the most memorable Shrimps games in recent history, Jim Bentley’s side were 3-0 down after just 22 minutes before four unanswered second half goals secured an unforgettable win.

There were no signs of life as the home side made a horrible start but goals from Kevin Ellison, Mark Hughes, Jack Sampson and Padraig Amond extended Morecambe’s unbeaten League 2 run to seven matches.

It was the worst possible opening for the Shrimps who went behind after only four minutes.

Jay O’Shea ghosted down the left-hand side all too easily and his centre should have been cleared by Andy Parrish, but the Shrimps man could only swing and miss allowing Eoin Doyle a free run on goal to score past Barry Roche.

It could have been two five minutes later, McSheffrey’s excellent hooked volley from just outside the area beat Roche and thankfully for the Shrimps, their goalkeeper’s far post as well.

But the former Coventry man wasn’t to be denied for long doubling Paul Cook’s side’s lead on 11 minutes.

After Shrimps skipper Mark Hughes had failed to clear Tendayi Darikwa got to the byline down the right-side of the area and pulled the ball back to McSheffrey who made no mistake from 15 yards.

Morecambe weren’t without attacking intent, Chesterfield standing firm when faced with a host of Ryan Williams corners.

Kevin Ellison then had the Shrimps’ first attempt on goal, seeing a volley from just outside the area deflected wide, with the home side seeing their appeals for a penalty waved away.

But it was 3-0 in just the 22nd minute.

Sam Morsy burst forward from midfield before feeding Doyle in the box with the former Hibernian man jinking his way past several Morecambe tackles before lifting the ball over Roche to doulble his tally with a fine individual goal.

The visitors were then denied what looked like a penalty on the half hour as Hughes appeared to block O’Shea’s shot with his arm as the home side came under pressure from wave after wave of attack.

Bentley’s side did have a good chance to pull a goal back three minutes before the break, but Tommy Lee raced out to block Amond’s shot one-on-one after good work after being played in by Hughes.

But the Shrimps did give themselves hope in the first minute of the second half, Ellison converting from close range after a chipped past from Jack Sampson.

It was a strike that brought the game and the crowd to life, as the home side could have had a second moments later, Amond seeing a deflected header loop onto the top of the net before Sampson fired over a well-hit shot from the resultant corner.

The visitors were always going to be a threat as Morecambe pushed on however and Doyle had time to take the ball down and shoot when found unmarked in the box by McSheffrey on 53 minutes, but headed into the path of O’Shea who shot high and wide.

The unlikely comeback then continued on 61 minutes.

Alex Kenyon looped a header back into the danger area after a corner had been half-cleared and as the visiting defence looked for offside, Hughes had time to take the ball down and hammer home from six yards to reduce the arrears to one.

And the Shrimps were level on 69 minutes, Sampson streching to convert a Williams free-kick in off the post to scenes of jubilation around the Globe Arena.

With their tails up, the home side looked the more likely to snatch a winner, Amond heading over from a Sampson long throw 10 minutes from time.

The three points were up for grabs as the game entered the final stages however, Doyle, on the hunt for a hat-trick, bring a good save out of Roche before hitting the outside of the post in the very next attack.

But it was the Shrimps who sensationally got their noses in front five minutes from time, Amond stooping low to head home Sampson’s whipped left-wing cross as a remarkable game took another twist.

And Shrimps number nine Sampson nearly made it five with time almost up but his volley flew past the angle of post and crossbar.

It meant it was a nervy five minutes of added on time, but the hosts held on for a victory that will live long in the memory.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Diagne (Threlfall 84), Kenyon, Drummond, Williams (Fleming 78), Amond (McGee 90), Ellison, Sampson, Subs not used: Arestidiou, Marshall, Mwasile, Doyle.

Booked: Wright

Chesterfield: Lee, Hird, Cooper, Evatt (capt), Humphreys, Morsy, Ryan, Darikwa (Devitt 74), O’Shea (Edwards 66), McSheffrey (Porter 80), Doyle. Subs not used: Chapman, Banks, Togwell, Brown, Porter.

Referee: Steve Rushton.

Attendance: 2,204 (584 from Chesterfield)