Morecambe 2-1 Bristol Rovers

Padraig Amond equalises for Morecambe.
Padraig Amond equalises for Morecambe.

Jack Redshaw’s late goal handed Morecambe their first home league win for more than two months.

The striker converted four minutes from time after Jack Sampson’s header had hit a post to seal a second-half turnaround and the Shrimps’ first Globe Arena triumph since October 5.

Jack Redshaw celebrates his 86th minute winner.

Jack Redshaw celebrates his 86th minute winner.

The visitors had taken the lead on 29 minutes, John-Joe O’Toole reacting first to score after Matt Harrold’s initial effort had been saved by Barry Roche.

But Padraig Amond equalised on 56 minutes after Stewart Drummond had flicked on Andy Parrish’s cross.

It was then anyone’s game for the final half an hour, Redshaw making the decisive intervention to settle a game played in atrocious conditions.

It may have been a grey afternoon at the Globe Arena but the Shrimps started brightly.

Andy Fleming saw a tame shot from distance easily saved by Steve Mildenhall in the early exchanges before not for the only time in the half a long wind-assisted pass from Mark Hughes deceived the Rovers backline and found Amond, but the Irishman could only fire over the bar.

On the quarter hour Stewart Drummond, fresh from turning 38 on Wednesday, showed excellent technique to fire in an acrobatic volley after Robbie Threlfall’s corner had only been half cleared, but it hit a Rovers head and went wide.

The veteran came close again on 24 minutes seeing another well-struck volley deflected over after Jack Sampson’s long throw from the left had caused confusion in the visiting defence.

But it was John Ward’s side who went in front just before the half hour mark against the run of play.

After the hosts twice failed to clear a cross, Harrold saw a shot on the turn saved but top scorer O’Toole was on hand to tap into the empty net for his seventh of the season.

The goal lifted the visitors, a neat move seeing Harrold played in one-on-one with Roche 10 minutes before the break, but the big number nine didn’t make proper contact with his shot allowing the Shrimps stopper to save with his legs.

Redshaw came closest to a Morecambe equaliser before the break, his shot from 35 yards interesting Mildenhall only for the wind to carry it high and wide.

Rovers then had a golden chance to double their lead on the stroke of half-time, Harrold’s shot was blocked after good work from Oliver Norburn down the right and the ball broke to David Clarkson 12 yards out but the Scot could only blaze over the crossbar.

Jack Sampson had the first Shrimps chance of the second half. Having won the corner after a well-struck strike was deflected wide, the big number nine’s header from Fleming’s centre was saved by Mildenhall.

But the hosts didn’t have to wait long for their equaliser, Amond levelling things up 10 minutes into second period.

Drummond expertly flicked on a low Andy Parrish cross from the right with the former Accrington man on hand to poke the ball home from close in at the back post.

The game opened up in increasingly poor conditions, Threlfall hitting the top of the net with a 25-yard free-kick that looked to have Mildenhall beaten.

Rovers had a glorious chance to extend Morecambe’s winless home run to six League 2 games five minutes from time, but Elliot Richards could only head wide when found unmarked by Ellis Harrison’s centre.

And it was barely a minute later when the Shrimps got their noses in front, Sampson getting his head to Threlfall’s cross with the ball coming back of the post, Redshaw reacting quickest and finding his feet to score his second of the season and seal what could be a big three points in Morecambe’s season.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, McCready, Hughes (capt), Threlfall, Wright, Drummond, Fleming, Redshaw, Amond (Marshall 78), Sampson. Subs not used: Arestidou, Diagne, McGee, Mwasile, Doyle.

Booked: Drummond, Wright, Hughes, Redshaw

Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall, Smith, Parkes, Lockyer, Brown, Clarkson (Harrison 82), Clarke, Norburn (Beardsley 87), O’Toole, Richards, Harrold. Subs not used: Gough, Harding, Santos, Keary, Southway.

Booked: Harrold, Clarke, Parkes, Lockyer

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Attendance: 1,514 (203 away)