Morecambe 1-2 Accrington Stanley

Morecambe’s miserable record against derby rivals Accrington continued with another disappointing loss at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

Jim Bentley’s side were hoping for their first ever Football League win over Stanley at the 13th attempt - but once again it wasn’t to be.

Padraig Amond challenges Accrington keeper Marcus Bettinelli.

Padraig Amond challenges Accrington keeper Marcus Bettinelli.

A mixture of bizarre refereeing from the atrocious Mark Haywood and some wayward finishing from the Shrimps - allied to some kamikaze last-minute defending - allowed Stanley to seal only their second win of the season.

Haywood has had plenty of previous poor performances against the Shrimps, including the Capital One Cup game against Newcastle this year.

But his decision to award Stanley a penalty when Barry Roche took the ball from the onrushing James Gray in the 19th minute proved vital as the Shrimps tasted defeat at home for the first time this season and dropped to 10th in League Two.

To give Stanley credit they were the better side in the opening stages of the game with Danny Webber and Piero Mingoia both firing efforts wide after neat moves.

Morecambe began to find heir feet with Jack Sampson curling an effort just wide before the visitors were given a controversial penalty.

Andy Parrish guided a header backwards towards ‘keeper Barry Roche but just as the Morecambe stopper was about to collect, Stanley striker James Gray nicked in and although Roche appeared to get to the ball first, Haywood pointed to the spot and Webber made no mistake.

The game saw a series of feisty challenges before the Shrimps wasted a golden chance to equalise on the half-hour mark when Stewart Drummond could only blaze his volley over from 12 yards.

Andy Fleming tested visiting keeper Marcus Bettinelli with a deflected half-volley from the edge of the area before former Stanley man Padraig Amond hit a powerful shot just yards over the top left corner.

The pressure paid off four minutes after the break with a deserved equaliser.

The excellent Bettinelli saved smartly from Fleming and Drummond in quick succession but the ball fell to Jack Sampson who poked the ball home from close range.

The goal lifted the Shrimps and Fleming caused problems with a long-range shot that Bettinelli parried before the visitors came back with Roche making two fine saves from former Celtic defender Lee Naylor.

Tony Diagne was then guilty of wasting two glorious opportunities as he blazed wildly over from close range on two occasions before Bettinelli denied Amond with a fine save from a close-range header.

After dominating much of the second half the Shrimps were forced on the back foot in the final moments of the game.

Roche was forced into another excellent save as he turned away a thumping drive from Kal Naismith which was destined for the top-right corner.

Not for the first time this season the Shrimps dropped their guard in the dying embers of a game were made to pay.

Mingoia crossed from the left and after the unfortunate Alex Kenyon failed to clear, Peter Murphy found himself perfectly placed to score from just eight yards out and maintain Stanley’s stranglehold over the Shrimps.