Morecambe 1-1 Northampton

Padraig Amond goes close for Morecambe but his shot misses the target.
Padraig Amond goes close for Morecambe but his shot misses the target.

Morecambe came from behind once again to take another valuable point with a draw against Northampton.

Padraig Amond was the Shrimps’ goal hero with his second goal in two games as Jim Bentley’s side confirmed their position as the Football League’s comeback kings after Andy Wright’s bizarre own goal put the Cobblers ahead.

It was a game that saw a number of plus points for the Shrimps with a much better display than the shocking show at Accrington in midweek while Ryan Edwards made a solid debut at centre half after his loan move from Blackburn was sealed on Friday afternoon.

Morecambe, who made four changes from midweek, looked the sharper side from the start.

Alex Kenyon missed his kick altogether when presented with a decent early chance and Kevin Ellison turned a shot wide before Amond was denied by the post after running on to a fine through ball and curling an effort past Matt Duke.

Jack Sampson skewed a shot wide and Amond was denied by an excellent block from Duke who raced out of his goal to thwart the Morecambe striker.

But Morecambe went behind – for the 29th time this season – with a nightmare own goal on 44 minutes.

Emile Sinclair broke down the right and his cross into the box was cruelly lashed into his own goal by Andy Wright.

The Shrimps looked to reply quickly in the second half Jamie Devitt lofting an early shot onto the roof of the Northampton net before visiting keeper Matt Duke produced one of the saves of the season to block a well struck Kevin Ellison free kick.

Northampton then took the upper hand without really threatening the Morecambe goal as Gary Deegan and former North End midfielder Darren Carter went close.

But the Shrimps secured the point with one of their best team goals of the season.

Devitt found Jack Redshaw and his smart first time flick played in Amond who beat Duke with a well struck shot with the outside of his right boot from 12 yards 

Northampton almost regained the lead a minute later but Barry Roche made a smart double save to first deny Gary Deegan and then the follow up from Sinclair and from there both sides went all out to claim victory.

The visitors went close on 89 minutes when after a succession of corners Ian Morris was denied by a goal line clearance after a goalmouth scramble.

But it was Morecambe who had the final chance when Devitt hassled left back Gregor Robertson and stole in between him and Duke to lob the keeper but see the ball creep slowly and agonisingly wide of the post leaving both sides having to settle for a share of the spoils.