Morecambe 1-1 Northampton

Jack Redshaw celebrates giving Morecambe the lead.
Jack Redshaw celebrates giving Morecambe the lead.

A late Kelvin Langmead header denied Morecambe victory over promotion-chasing Northampton at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

The Cobblers’ skipper headed from close range one minute from time to give Aidy Boothroyd’s side a point right at the death of a pulsating end-to-end game.

Jack Redshaw’s 14th goal of the season just before the hour mark had looked like handing The Shrimps victory but the visitors’ late bombardment eventually brought them a well-deserved point.

Lee Nicholls produced two good early saves for the visitors, the Wigan loanee diving well down to his right to save Redshaw’s shot from 12 yards on six minutes and then Gary McDonald’s flicked header just after the quarter hour.

But it had been a good start from both sides, and Chris Hackett nearly gave the Cobblers a fortunate lead on 19 minutes, his whipped free-kick from the left missing everyone and hitting the foot of Andreas Arestidou’s left-hand post.

If their first effort against the woodwork was an accident the second most certainly wasn’t.

Lewis Alessandra was dispossessed 20 yards from goal allowing Langmead to curl an excellent shot round Arestidou but against the post on 22 minutes.

At the other end, Redshaw was presented with the best chance of the game 60 seconds later but after Lee Collins had fallen over the ball in the area, The Shrimps’ top scorer could only drag his shot wide.

What was turning into an entertaining end-to-end contest continued on 25 minutes, Arestidou, in for the suspended Barry Roche, diving well to his left to save Ishmel Demontagnac’s effort from distance.

And the visitors would hit an upright for a third time before the half was out, Ben Harding striking the inside of Arestidou’s right-hand post with a precise effort from 20 yards out.

The Shrimps then failed to find a clear-cut opening as the Cobblers just managed to scramble the ball away after a bout on pinball in the six yard box as time expired in the first half.

The early stages of the second period didn’t live up to what the Globe Arena crowd had been treated to in the first, Andy Wright seeing a shot from just inside the area deflected over.

And it took the best move of the match from either side to break the deadlock, Redshaw exchanging a neat one-two with Alessandra on the edge of the box before slotting past Nicholls on 57 minutes.

Perhaps unfortunate to find themselves behind the visitors went in search of an equaliser, Arestidou unconvincingly beating away Hackett’s effort from distance on 64 minutes.

Roy O’Donovan should have equalised 10 minutes from time but he could only fire a volley over from 12 yards.

Aidy Boothroyd’s side’s pressure did finally tell, after Demontagnac’s free-kick had hit a post, Langmead reacted quickest to head home on 89 minutes denying The Shrimps all three points.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Haining (capt), McCready, Fenton, Parrish (Threlfall 43), Wright, Drummond, McDonald, Alessandra (Holroyd 77), Ellison, Redshaw. Subs not used: Jones, Williams, Burrow, Fleming, Mwasile.

Booked: Drummond, Ellison, Redshaw

Northampton: Nicholls, Johnson (Platt 78), Langmead (capt), Carlisle, Collins (Akinfenwa 69), Hackett, Harding, Tozer, Widdowson, Demontagnac, O’Donovan. Subs not used: Snedker, Guttridge, Robinson, Hornby, Dias

Booked: Demontagnac, Johnson

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Attendance: 1,366