Morecambe 0-1 Hartlepool

Morecambe FC.
Morecambe FC.

Basement boys Hartlepool survived a late onslaught to condemn Morecambe to a third straight home defeat.

Andy Parrish’s first-half own goal was enough to hand Ronnie Moore’s side a rare away victory on another afternoon to forget at the Globe Arena.

Morecambe did everything but equalise in the second half as their play-off homes suffered a serious blow.

In a low-key opening at the Globe Arena Dan Jones should have tested Andreas Arestidou on eight minutes but could only head wide after outjumping Laurence Wilson to meet Jonathan Franks’ corner.

The Shrimps, with four forwards on the field as Jim Bentley went on the attack from the off, struggled to get into their stride, Kevin Ellison’s shot from the edge of the area that went out of the ground on 24 minutes summing up their start.

Passes continued to be overhit and good shooting opportunities wasted as the hosts once again failed to replicate their impressive away form on home soil.

It was the visitors who went in front 10 minutes before the break with a goal that summed up recent performances at the Globe Arena.

Nicky Featherstone’s long ball split the Morecambe defence far too easily with Parrish looking to deny Ryan Bird a shot at goal only for his challenge to divert the ball beyond the despairing dive of Arestidou and into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

The hosts had a chance to level things up on 41 minutes but Kevin Ellison could only shoot straight at Scott Flinders as he lost his balance.

The start to the second half was scrappy with injuries to Brad Walker and Aaron Tshibola halting play.

The hosts were brighter but still struggled to create openings, Padraig Amond’s cross across the face of goal somehow missing everyone shortly after the hour mark.

The pressure was building however on a Hartlepool side who were yet to keep a clean sheet away from home all season.

On 70 minutes, Ellison’s header brought a fine save from Flinders, Featherstone blocked Redshaw’s effort on the line and then Amond had a shot deflected over all in a crazy 30-second spell.

Then from the resultant corner Stewart Drummond’s shot went inches wide with some parts of the ground thinking it had gone in.

It was a case of everything but a goal for the hosts as on 76 minutes David Mirfin deflected Ellison’s effort from a Wilson cross onto his own crossbar and over.

As Morecambe pressed they left gaps at the other end however and Bird could have made the game safe two minutes later but after rounding Arestidou he found Parrish on hand to clear off the line.

A frantic finale continued with the hosts going straight up the other end but Amond could only fire over on the volley when in on goal.

Hartlepool spent the remainder of the game camped in their own half but the Shrimps couldn’t find a way through as the visitors picked up a vital three points.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Beeley (McGowan 85), Hughes (capt), Parrish, Wilson, Wright (Drummond 65), Fleming, Mullin (Sampson 65), Amond, Redshaw, Ellison. Subs not used: Stewart, Kenyon, Williams, Goodall.

Hartlepool: Flinders (capt), Jones, Harrison, Mirfin, Austin, Walker (Hawkins 72), Featherstone, Tshibola, Duckworth, Bird, Franks. Subs not used: Maxted, Holden, Harewood, Richards, Smith, Jones.

Referee: Mark Haywood

Attendance: 1,673 (307 away)