Morecambe 0-1 Cheltenham

The returning Jack Redshaw is denied by Scott Brown.
The returning Jack Redshaw is denied by Scott Brown.

Morecambe are now five League 2 home games without a win after Troy Brown’s late goal handed Cheltenham all three points at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

The central defender pounced on 80 minutes to score from close in after a Matt Richards free-kick had dropped kindly to him in the penalty area.

It was a deserved goal for the visitors who had been on top for long periods in the only League 2 game of the day.

But both sides had seen excellent chances go begging, Shrimps veteran Stewart Drummond heading wide from six yards just three minutes before the decisive goal on his 600th appearance for the club.

In an even opening, Jermaine McGlashan had dragged a shot wide from 20 yards for the visitors before an intricate Shrimps move 10 minutes in ended with Scott Brown beating away Andy Fleming’s effort from just outside the area.

Alex Kenyon then saw a well-struck low drive from 20 yards out fizz wide with a quarter of the game gone but it was the Robins who then had two good chances to take the lead.

First Jason Taylor’s mis-hit shot from distance found McGlashan in the area 12 yards out but Barry Roche rushed out to block on 23 minutes.

And the Shrimps stopper had to produce an even better save less than 60 seconds later, tipping over Byron Harrison’s point blank header from a Craig Braham-Barrett centre.

The game then somehow went into the break goalless after the Shrimps survived a remarkable goal-mouth scramble on the stroke of half-time as the hosts produced block after block before hacking the ball clear.

Cheltenham dominated possession in the early part of the second half, Roche again rushing out to block as McGlashan looked to shot inside the area.

The Shrimps had their first sight of goal after the break just before the hour mark, Jack Sampson’s header looping onto the top of the net after Drummond had flicked on Fleming’s centre.

Richards then tested Roche from distance, the Shrimps stopper collecting at the second attempt after ball had bounced in front of him.

The visitors continued to have the better of things as both sides went in search of a winner, Taylor seeing a dipping volley go just over with Roche beaten 20 minutes from time.

But it was Drummond who had the game’s best chance on 77 minutes, heading wide from six yards out after being found at the back post by Padraig Amond’s cross.

And the hosts were made to pay 10 minutes from time.

Richards’ in swinging free-kick hit a crowd of players including Shrimps ‘keeper Roche and bounced free in the box, with Brown on hand to score into the empty net.

Morecambe pushed for an equaliser that in truth they never looked like finding, as Mark Yates’ Robins extended their League 2 unbeaten run to eight.

One positive for the hosts was seeing Jack Redshaw complete his first 90 minutes since coming back from hip surgery.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Threlfall, Drummond (Marshall 89), Kenyon, Fleming, Redshaw, Amond, Sampson (Mwasile 69). Subs not used: Arestidou, Diagne, McCready, McGee, Doyle.

Booked: Kenyon

Cheltenham: Brown, Jombati, Brown, Elliott, Braham-Barrett, Noble (Goldson 90), Taylor, Richards, Roofe (Cureton 64), Harrison, McGlashan. Subs not used: Roberts, Deering, Gornell, Penn, Ajala.

Booked: Noble, Taylor

Referee: Kevin Wright

Attendance: 1,290 (104 Cheltenham)