Morecambe 0-0 York City

Globe Arena.
Globe Arena.

Morecambe ended a run of three straight defeats after an entertaining draw with York City at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

Both sides had chances in an open contest between two teams scratching for form with the stalemate ultimately a fair result.

It is a scoreline that means the Shrimps have now won just one of their last seven in League 2 but boss Jim Bentley can take heart from a performance in which his side had two efforts cleared off the line in the first half.

After surviving three early Ryan Williams corners, York made the brighter start at the Globe Arena.

Barry Roche had to be alert on 11 minutes to save with his legs after Ryan Jarvis had poked a dangerous Luke O’Neill free-kick goalwards.

The Shrimps set their stall out to pass the ball out from the back and settled into the game.

Kevin Ellison saw a tame header saved by Nick Pope on 22 minutes before turning provider less than 60 seconds later.

His chipped left-wing cross was met by Padraig Amond six yards out at the back post and his header looked beyond Pope who somehow clawed it away with his left hand - the rebound was then headed goalwards by Alex Kenyon only for it to be cleared off the line.

The two near misses livened up the crowd and the home side but in a good, entertaining half York were always a threat.

Lewis Montrose had arguably the chance of the half rushing on to ball as it broke to him 12 yards out but Roche made himself big and beat the midfielder’s effort away.

Then less than a minute later, Jarvis hooked the ball onto the top of the net with Roche beaten after Lanre Oyebanjo had beaten Robbie Threlfall in the air at the back post.

The visitors continued to be the livelier of the two sides in the early stages of the second half and Shrimps summer transfer target Wes Fletcher will feel he should have done better with a header from a Oyebanjo cross, but the former Burnley youngster mistimed his jump.

On the hour mark Roche saved well from Oyebanjo close in before the Shrimps stopper was grateful to see a deft, flicked header from Fletcher from the resultant corner go straight into his gloves.

While York looked the more threatening in an open game, the Shrimps continued to have sights of goal of their own, Ellison firing a sweetly struck shot over from a narrow angle.

Shrimps boss Bentley then introduced Jack Sampson and Jack Redshaw from the bench and the former brought a good save from Pope low to his left with a driven shot from just outside the area 20 minutes from time.

But it was Stewart Drummond who then had two great openings for the Shrimps.

First he saw a header flash wide from an excellent Threlfall cross before he was found by Redshaw after an excellent run from halfway by the returning striker, but the Shrimps veteran could only slice his effort horribly over the bar.

Ellison came close to snatching the points in stoppage time but his flicked effort was straight at Pope as both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, McCready, Hughes, Threlfall, Kenyon, Drummond, Williams (Redshaw 68), Marshall (Sampson 61), Ellison, Amond (Mwasile 80). Subs not used: Arestidou, Diagne, McGee, Doyle.

Booked: Ellison, Parrish

York City: Pope, O’Neill, McGurk, Lowe, Davies, Oyebanjo, Montrose, Whitehouse, Carson, Jarvis (Chambers 70), Fletcher. Subs not used: Coulson, Clay, Platt, Chamberlain, Murray, Puri.

Booked: Whitehouse

Referee: Steve Martin