Macclesfield 1-1 Morecambe

Gary McDonald picked up a knee injury in the Shrimps' draw with Macclesfield. Picture: Mike Williamson
Gary McDonald picked up a knee injury in the Shrimps' draw with Macclesfield. Picture: Mike Williamson

MORECAMBE boss Jim Bentley said his side would take the positives from this scrappy game at Macclesfield.

Bentley saw his side extend their unbeaten run to seven league games with a point at Moss Rose despite being far from their best – and losing influential midfielder Gary McDonald to a knee injury.

Bentley said: “It wasn’t the best of performances and Macclesfield made it really difficult for us to get into our full swing. But we showed some spirit after losing a goal after just seven seconds and seeing Gary McDonald go off and we have to be happy with that.

“It says a lot about how far we have come when we feel really disappointed not to have picked up three points away from home. We played Macclesfield three times last season and lost all three games so we have done better than we did last year.

“We have to take the positives and work on the negatives and move on to Dagenham now, hoping to add to our unbeaten run.”

The Shrimps could not have a suffered a worse start as they went a goal down after seven seconds as Macclesfield took the lead straight from the kick off.

Strikers Ben Tomlinson and George Donnelly took the kick and simply ran straight down the middle with Tomlinson producing a superb finish past Barry Roche from 25 yards.

To make matters worse the Shrimps lost influential midfielder McDonald after 13 minutes when he had to be stretchered off with a nasty looking injury.

Despite the setbacks the Shrimps soon fired their way back into the game with a goal on 16 minutes. Danny Carlton added to his hat-trick on Saturday with his fourth goal in two games as he produced a cool finish after a Laurence Wilson pass bounced invitingly into his path.

From there however chances were rare as the game became a scrappy midfield battle with both sides giving the ball away with alarming ease.

The second half continued in the same fashion with Macclesfield defender Shaun Brisley heading over from close range when he should have done better.

The game eventually came to life with Carlton missing a glorious chance to give Morecambe the three points three minutes from time when he latched on to Kevin Ellison’s flick on but somehow missed the target from three yards out when he looked certain to score.

Macclesfield then produced a final flourish of their own as Tomlinson tested Roche with a sweetly struck shot in injury time but the deadlock could not be broken.

Macclesfield: Veiga, Hewitt, Brown, Diagne, Tremarco, Draper, Daniel (Kay 74), Drisley, Wedgbury, Donnelly, Tomlinson. Subs not used: Bateson, Chalmers, Hamshaw, Grant.

Morecambe: Roche, Haining, Fenton, McCready, Wilson, Reid (Alessandra 79), Drummond, McDonald (Hunter 13), Ellison, Carlton, Price (Parrish 71). Subs not used: Routledge (GK), Charnock.

Referee: S Hooper.

Attendance: 1,527