Lancaster City 3-1 Radcliffe Borough

An Aaron Taylor brace helped the Dolly Blues record a comfortable victory against Radcliffe Borough on Saturday.

Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 9:03 am
Garry Hunter battles for the ball against Radcliffe Borough. Picture: Peter Gray

Two goals for the former Morecambe man and a strike from Tom Kilifin ended City’s short winless streak at Giant Axe to give Darren Peacock’s their first win since the opening week of October.

It took just two minutes for Lancaster to open the scoring after a bright start.

Ryan Winder’s corner wasn’t dealt with and the second cross was nodded home at the back post by Taylor to open the scoring.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The lead last just three minutes as Radcliffe struck back almost instantly.

Danny White’s shot from the right side of the area was well saved by Mike Hale, but there was enough power for the ball to ricochet off defender Ben Hudson into the net for an unfortunate own goal.

City continued to press and create chances. Kilifin drilled an effort into the side netting after some tricky footwork to beat his man before Taylor headed a good chance inches wide.

The Dolly Blues retook the lead late in the first half as Kilifin got his name on the scoresheet, captain Neil Marshall setting up the striker from Sam Bailey’s cross to coolly find the bottom left corner from 12 yards.

The second half was a close, if at times scrappy, encounter with both sides creating a few half chances without either goalkeeper being tested.

It wasn’t until the 81st minute that Lancaster finally wrapped up the points.

Collecting the ball out wide on the right flank Taylor took a few touches and aimed an audacious chip towards the back post from the edge of the area, the ball curling over ‘keeper Chris Cheetham to find the net via the post.

Lancaster City: Hale 7, Bailey 8, Hudson 7, Marshall 8, Clark 7, Winder 7, Hunter 7, Akrigg 8, Dodgson 7, Kilifin 7, Taylor 8.

Star Man: Aaron Taylor

Lancaster City will replay their FA Trophy preliminary round replay at Bamber Bridge on Tuesday night after their first attempt was called off for safety reasons.

The pitch at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium was playable but damage to one of the stands as the tail end of Hurricane Gonzalo battered the country meant the game was postponed last Tuesday, October 21,

A roof panel was dislodged with officials fearing further gusts would be a danger to both teams.