Lancaster City 2-2 Goole

Lancaster City capatin Neil Marshall was on the mark against Goole on Saturday.
Lancaster City capatin Neil Marshall was on the mark against Goole on Saturday.

Lancaster City were held to a draw in their final home game of this season by a spirited third from bottom Goole.

A fiery and committed second-half performance from the away side and some poor finishing from the Dolly Blues saw the spoils fairly shared.

Referee Jonathan Hunt was the main talking point over the 90 minutes as he twice penalised the City defence for handballs that led to goals; the second inside the area for a penalty.

The spot-kick was firmly tucked away straight down the middle by striker Neil Towler who could consider himself lucky to be on the pitch after only being booked for an elbow on Ben Hudson in the first half.

Mr Hunt was also guided by his assistant in disallowing a Darren Green header for an apparent push in the box, a harsh decision and a game changer.

The Dolly Blues took the lead through their skipper Neil Marshall who rose unmarked in the six-yard box to head Green’s corner past Neal May in the Goole net.

City should have stretched themselves further in front in a first half that saw them put a shaky looking defence on the back foot.

Makeshift striker Billy McKenna could not find the back of the net as he harmlessly dragged an effort wide after beating the last defender and then saw a shot deflected over the bar.

Despite looking ragged at times Goole belied their league position with some neat attacking football and found Danny McDonald in fine fettle again denying them twice with excellent diving saves.

It was their stand-out player and captain Bill Law who fired in their first goal, after hitting a free-kick into the wall from a dangerous position Law found himself a yard of space to volley the looping rebound into the roof of the net.

This was just three minutes after Rory Winters had neatly given the Dolly Blues a two-goal cushion with a lob from 20 yards; City will be frustrated that they did not keep their composure.

The penalty equaliser was tucked away just after the hour mark and it seemed to deflate the game, the visitors had worked tirelessly to struggle back into it and City looked a little stale.

There were flashes from Green of something approaching his best in the closing stages as he linked up with Winters to try and pull the Dolly Blues ahead but once again City lacked a spark or a flash of flair to inspire the victory.

New head coach Darren Peacock was watching from the main stand and although he misses the trip to Garforth Town he will take charge of training and will be in the dug-out for the final game of the season away at Salford City.

Lancaster City: McDonald 7, Hudson 7, Elderton 6, Gregson 6, Marshall 6, Winters 6, Winder 6, Wills 6, McKenna 6, Green 6, Clark 6. Subs not used: Allsop, Harding, Hoyle, Coulthard, Jones.

Goole: May, Hay, Hunter, Robson, Colbear, Allott (Jackson 62), Baggaley, Wakefield (Claisse 62), Towler, Law, Taylor. Subs not used: Hayward, Appleby.

Referee: Jonathan Hunt

Attendance: 175

Star man: Ben Hudson - Another solid performance, does the basics very well, ever reliable