Lancaster City 1-4 Spennymoor Town

Lancaster City striker Tom Woods.
Lancaster City striker Tom Woods.

Lancaster hosted the in-form Spennymoor Town on Tuesday night in what proved to be an emphatic win for the North East outfit.

A particularly strong second half performance from the visitors saw only a string of fine saves from City stopper Mike Hale keep the scoreline respectable.

In a first half that was flat and devoid of action for the most part, the visitors hit the woodwork from an early curling free kick from Moors danger man Liam Henderson.

Garry Hunter had a great chance to open the scoring on twenty minutes after a neat passing move from the hosts but his low shot was well saved by Adam McHugh.

The opening goal from the visitors on 37 minutes began when a stray pass from Aaron Taylor that set off a quick counter attack from Spennymoor.

Three precise passes later and Henderson, in between the City centre backs, poked the ball into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box to break the deadlock.

City had a chance to level the score late in the first half when Tom Kilifin turned and fired a close range shot that smacked against the inside of the post, rolled along the line and out of play.

The Dolly Blues were looking out of sorts following their long journey to Norfolk on Saturday and fatigue was a telling sign in the second half.

Seven minutes after the restart and the visitors had a harsh looking penalty after a close range shot hit the falling arm of a City defender in a crowded penalty box.

Joseph Tait’s spot kick was powerfully struck into the left corner of the net to double the advantage.

Two minutes later and the game was wrapped up when Joseph Stephenson’s fine strike past the near post made it three.

Moors were getting particular joy down the right flank and on the counter attack as the visitors took almost complete control of the match.

The visitors finished off their tally when a low cross from the right wing was hammered home from close range by substitute Gavin Cogden.

For the final 20 minutes only a series of first class saves from Hale kept the scoreline respectable with Lancaster gaining a late consolation goal for their hard work.

Taylor’s low cross from the right side of the box was hit first time by Tom Woods from six yards to bring the final score to 4-1.

On the night the Dolly Blues were simply beaten by one of the best sides City have faced at Giant Axe in recent years.

Darren Peacock’s men will need to regroup quickly with the all important prize money of the FA Trophy to play for on Saturday.

City: Hale 8, Henry 6 (Davis 65), Marshall 6, Hudson 6, Clark 5, Winder 6, Hunter 5, Akrigg 5, Kilifin 5 (Woods 78), Taylor 5, Wearing 6 (Bailey 73)

Subs not used: Donlon, Sinclair

Star man: Mike Hale.