Lancaster City 1-1 Warrington

Darren Green attempts to win the ball aginst Warrington.
Darren Green attempts to win the ball aginst Warrington.

A trademark wonder strike from forward Dave Swarbrick fired Lancaster City to a draw on Saturday in spectacular fashion.

The former Barrow and FC United man’s 30-yard first-time volley in the second half deservedly drew the Dolly Blues level with a daunting Warrington Town line-up whom City matched and at times bettered over 90 minutes.

The Wire featured a number of former Football League and Conference North players in their eleven including former Morecambe regulars Jon Newby and Fraser McLachlan, the latter giving them the lead just before the quarter hour mark.

It was a simple move down the right, a throw-in, a ball into the feet of McLachlan who was allowed to turn in the box and see a scruffy shot bobble over Danny McDonald in the City net and just about elude the home side’s covering defence to sneak in the bottom corner.

Newby, who looked a dangerous proposition in the opening exchanges, had the visitors’ best chance to further their lead striking a left-foot half volley into the side netting from inside the box.

The Dolly Blues seemed hell bent on the spectacular this chilly afternoon with Swarbrick and Darren Green both wildly attempting 40-plus yard lobs to catch out the wandering Steve Robertson in the Wire net.

Green, in sparkling form of late - very nearly sent City in level with a marvellous effort from the edge of the box.

Turning and developing space he chipped and curled a beautiful left-footed effort towards the top-right corner to find Robertson his equal with a fantastic diving save to tip it clear.

It was worthy of bringing the game level and would have been just rewards for a hard-working Dolly Blue half that set them in good stead for the second.

It was a second 45 in need of a spark but one where City’s sharpness, energy and defensive discipline set them above the away side that lacked the imagination to break down the Dolly Blues.

The spark came just before the hour mark as a looped pass from substitute Ryan Winder set Swarbrick free down the right, he dispensed with the niceties of a first-touch and struck a first-time volley as the ball came across his body which fizzed and looped over Robertson and into the top corner.

Inevitably there was a response from the Wire, they shrugged off their sluggish play and hit City with all they had but found a defence in determined mood, it wasn’t pretty but it was effective and with a dose more control and conviction City could well have capitalised on the counter attack through the pace of Swarbrick.

There was a half chance for debutant Aaron Taylor, on earlier than he might have liked as he strives for fitness replacing Tom Kilifin in the 23rd minute, but he chose to head back across goal instead of towards it after a lung-busting run took him into the box and in space.

The Dolly Blues next travel to Wakefield on Saturday, looking to make it four games unbeaten for the first time since August and pre-season.

Lancaster City: McDonald 6, Hudson 7 (Clark 83), Marshall 7, Gregson 8, Winters 7, Elderton 7, Wills 7, Simpson (Winder 67), Kilifin (Taylor 6, 23) Green 8, Swarbrick 8. Subs not used: Bradley, Fielding.

Warrington Town: Robertson, Davies, Doran, Dogan, Mitter (Reid 62, Mooney 85), McCarten, Newby, McLachlan, Kilheeney C, Mannix, Miles (Haverin 67). Subs not used: Kilheeney A.

Attendance: 183

Referee: James Price

Star man: Darren Green - Some marvellous touches and link-up work and a fingertip away from a goal.