International bow out of cup

CC Wanderers in their new away kit, sponsored by Pier Hotel, Morecambe. Back row, from left to right: Alan Fisher. Killian Bamber. Gaz Liver. Paul Oldfield. Ian Dewhirst. John Boothroyd. Leon Devaney. James Dobson. Glenn Harwood. Ronnie Price (Manager). Front row, left to right...Britt Bays. Reece Cusimano. Daniel Caton. Luke Vallente(c). Ross Wilson. Ryan Marshall.
CC Wanderers in their new away kit, sponsored by Pier Hotel, Morecambe. Back row, from left to right: Alan Fisher. Killian Bamber. Gaz Liver. Paul Oldfield. Ian Dewhirst. John Boothroyd. Leon Devaney. James Dobson. Glenn Harwood. Ronnie Price (Manager). Front row, left to right...Britt Bays. Reece Cusimano. Daniel Caton. Luke Vallente(c). Ross Wilson. Ryan Marshall.

The Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup took centre stage again with ten local teams involved.

In the first round, the three times postponed match between Leyland Athletic and FC International finally beat the weather.

Unfortunately, local side FC International could not field their strongest team and went down 6-0 without much of a fight.

In the second Round Caton United travelled to the Wigan area to play Ince Central and were involved in a good game with the home side taking an early 1-0 lead, slightly against the run of play.

Caton soon equalised with Steve Oliver netting from close in, but two classic passages of play saw the home side take a 3-1 lead.

Caton re-grouped and deservedly pulled a goal back with a good strike by Jordan Sparks, his first for the club to make it 3-2.

Morecambe Royals entertained South Manchester and lost the game in the opening 15 minutes.

The Royals started much the brighter and looked good, but after a misplaced pass the Manchester team broke away and scored in the fifth minute.

Another misplaced pass from the Royals saw the Manchester side break-away again, their right winger had the freedom of Salt Ayre and was unmarked with no defender within 20 yards of him.

His inch perfect cross found the left winger almost on the goal line with the simple task of heading the ball into an empty net.

The Royals were clearly the better footballing side but the speed of the Manchester team’s breakaways troubled the Royals defence.

Although 2-0 behind the Royals continued to force the pace and slowly started to create chances, only some last ditch defending kept them out.

In the 25th minute the Royals almost pulled a goal back but the shot from close in hit an upright.

The Royals turned up the pressure and within two minutes managed to score when Mark Murphy finished from close in.

Shortly after they hit the bar, but had no luck with the rebound.

The second half started with the Royals in the ascendancy and created chance after chance, but failed to hit the target.

In the 55th minute the Royals were guilty of the miss of the season when, from a perfect position in centre of the goal, just five yards out, the Royals attacker contrived to put the ball wide.

When the Royals did have shots on target the Manchester side’s keeper kept the ball out with some stupendous and unorthodox saves.

Throughout the second half it looked as though the Royals would win the game if they could just manage to put the ball in the net.

However, that all changed in the 75th minute when the Manchester side broke away, and despite the keeper making an excellent stop, the ball rebounded to an unmarked attacker following up to shoot into an empty net.

Still the Royals attacked at every opportunity, and with just five minutes remaining, scored the goal they had waited for, but it was not enough as they bowed out of the competition, losing 3-2.

Storeys travelled to the Wigan area to play Goose Green (Hindley).

Before Storeys had settled they found themselves trailing 2-0.

Once they picked up their game it was all one way traffic as Storeys rattled in five goals without reply, Liam Jeffries with a superb hat trick leading the way, Elliott Howsley with a brace scored the goals for Storeys.

Storeys thought they had done all the hard work, switched off and paid dearly for it as Goose Green fought back and equalised.

It got worse for Storeys as they lost the tie on penalties.

Carnforth Rangers, fresh from their win last week, carried on where they had left off by beating Leigh Legion 6-0.

Carnforth started brilliantly and soon took control with goals being scored at regular intervals through Adam Lund, Damien Murphy, a brilliant hat trick from man of the match Asa Stone and Ricky Ball finishing things off with the sixth.

Marsh United also had to travel, this time to play Santos.

After a shaky start, Marsh took control and won with ease, 3-0, with goals scored by Matthew Rose, Lee Sparks and Kevin Coulton.

Highgrove failed to live up to expectations and lost 5-1 to Old Boltonians, Russell Mitchell scoring what turned out to be a consolation goal.

In the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup first round, Burton Thistle from Division Three entertained the veterans of Morecambe Gold, a division higher.

It was an even game and the longer it went it looked more likely the much younger Burton side would come out on top, and so it proved after Mark Plevey and Steven Rafferty had given the home side a 2-0 lead.

In the second round Burton will be at home again to another team in a higher division, Westgate Wanderers.

Highflying Trimpell, leaders of Division One, met Division Three side Mayfield United in what promised to be an exciting game.

Mayfield were the better side for most of game but at the end of 90 minutes, the game was all square at 2-2, Sam McKee and Andy Wade had scored for Trimpell, in reply Anthony McCluskey and Michael Allen scored for the Mayfield side.

This brought extra time and Trimpell’s Liam Brown scored the winner with the goal of the game.

In the second round Trimpell are at home again this time to Morecambe Royals.

In round two, the biggest shock of the day was the defeat of Division One side Millhead by Division Three leaders AFC Moorlands.

Gary Larn, Jack Salisbury (2) and Kevin Robinson scored the goals for a victorious Moorlands side, who will have a much harder task in the next round when they play the winners of the College AFC v TIC Dynamos tie.

Moghuls, from Division Three, came within two minutes of creating a massive shock when they met Premier team Arnside.

Moghuls played really well and took a 3-1 lead with goals from Will Onek, a brilliant overhead kick by Faiz Maje and Rizwan Koda.

Arnside’s goal was scored by Chris Howsley, James Kirkham pulled a goal back to make it 3-2 and in the 88th minute Moghul’s defence cracked, allowing Kirkham to score his second to send the game into extra time.

The game was swinging from end to end, first Arnside took the lead with a good goal scored by James Barr.

However, Moghuls, urged on by the outstanding Mukhtar Patel who was head and shoulders man of the match, fought back to force an equaliser when Koda scored his second.

With time running out Arnside pushed forward looking to settle the game without the need of penalties and with just five minutes left, James Thornton put them into the lead.

Moghuls, to their credit, went flat out looking for the equaliser but got caught on the break when, in the final minute, Arnside scored their sixth goal through Marco Thompson.

In round three Arnside will be away to Bentham.

Bentham, from the Premier Division, had to work harder than expected when they entertained Division Three side Torrisholme.

Bentham took their chances to lead 4-1, Torrisholme’s Dan Johnson had put through his own goal to help Bentham on their way,

James Earnshaw weighed in with a double strike and James Barlow scored the other, Torrisholme’s long serving Andy Houghton replied with a great finish.

Houghton later scored his second for Torrisholme with Sam Lister adding a fifth for Bentham, who knew they had been in a game.

In the Premier Division, only one game was played and what a game it was between Bowerham and TIC Dynamos of Overton and Middleton, the only team in the division with a 100% record.

However, it was the under-dogs of Bowerham who took control and it did not take them long to take the lead with the excellent Antony Costa scoring a good goal.

TIC did not seem to have an answer to the fast open football played by the Bowerham side.

Costa added a second and John Foxcroft scored his first for the club.

In Division One, Carnforth Rangers Reserves beat local rivals Bolton-le- Sands 5-2 and moved to the top of the division thanks to goals by Nathan Downham, Alec Benson, Carl Wakeman, Dave Chippendale and Neil Pidcock.

Bolton-le-Sands replied with goals from Darren Postlethwaite and Adam Binns.

Kirkby Lonsdale had a much easier win than expected when they travelled to play Marsh United Reserves.

It was a Grant Troughton treble that did the trick for Kirkby, Mark Rogerson scored the fourth just as Marsh were getting back into the game after Joe Pollard scored the goal of the game.