How Morecambe could be back playing competitive football later this month
It had been decided last month that the start of the League Two season would be on September 12.
What wasn’t known at the time was when the opening round of the Carabao Cup would be played.
Shrimps’ boss Derek Adams had told the Visitor one option would be for it to be played on September 5.
That date falls during an international break, so clubs in the Championship who face losing players as a result could well be given the option to play games later this month.
The situation was outlined by Blackpool head coach Neil Critchley when he spoke to our sister paper, the Blackpool Gazette.
Speaking about the Seasiders’ pre-season schedule, Critchley said: “Our plans are more or less finalised now, but we still have to be flexible because of areas in the country going into lockdown and things like that.
“We were due to play a game this month on August 29 but if you draw a Championship club in the Carabao Cup then they will play it on that date because it’s before the international break.
“You just have to be ready to adapt all the time, but we’ve got our plans in place and we’ve got our games pencilled in. But we have to be ready for the unexpected and try to prepare as best as we can.”
Morecambe have plans in place for a number of pre-season matches, all to be played behind closed doors.
Manchester United has already announced their Under-23s are due to play the Shrimps on August 22.