Galgate and Caton draw in top of table clash

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division, the match of the day without doubt was between leaders Galgate and second placed Caton United, a game both sides felt they had to win to boost their title chances.

Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 12:30 pm
Will Onek on the charge forward for Galgate in their top of the table clash with Caton United. Picture: Tom Greaves

Galgate were the better side early on and had most of the possession but could not create any worthwhile goal scoring opportunities.

Caton had to defend deep to keep the eager Galgate team at bay and it took Caton until the 35th minute to create their first meaningful attack, although it came to nothing.

Within two minutes Galgate won their first corner but from the edge of the area Steve McMinn fired high and wide to waste the chance.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

As the half went on Caton started to improve and following a good move down their left wing which involved recent signing Adze Damboyi and Liam Jeffries, it ended with Jeffries shooting inches wide which was the first real chance for either side.

Within 60 seconds Caton again opened up the Galgate defence with another well worked move, this time down the right wing after a good 30 yard pass by Aaron Tremble found Tommy Lund whose pace took him past Jamie Fairclough and his shot was going for goal, only for the ball being diverted for a corner with the keeper beaten.

The second half saw Caton take the initiative as they pushed back the Galgate side and within the opening five minutes the excellent Sam Kirkby fired just wide.

Caton continued to press and with just 15 minutes left to play should have taken the lead, an inch perfect cross from Lund found the head of leading scorer Nathan Jackson but from six yards out his header cleared the bar.

Caton were now well on top and but for three excellent saves from keeper Bryan Berry would have taken the lead, he twice pulled off great saves from Jeffries and another from Jackson.

However, neither team could score and the game ended all square.