Fulwood Amateurs 2-0 Garstang

Garstang lost 2-0 at Fulwood Amateurs.
Garstang lost 2-0 at Fulwood Amateurs.
Share this article

A good crowd gathered for this eagerly awaited derby with both teams desperate for points that would take them away from the lower regions of the league.

The Garstang team included Danny McGahon who had been signed from Kendal Town, and on the bench Tony Williams from Longridge Town and Jamie Hastings who had returned following a spell with Bamber Bridge.

Fulwood were the first to threaten when Mullan’s shot into the ground bounced up and on to the crossbar and out to safety.

Within minutes Garstang had a glorious chance to take the lead when Helliwell put the ball on a plate for Poole but his shot went tamely into the hands of keeper Hawksworth.

The miss proved to be costly as Fulwood went in front on 17 minutes, the usually reliable Brindle letting a long range effort from Mcdonald slip through his hands into the net.

A great run from deep inside his own half by Fawcett, an exchange of passes with the impressive McGahon saw the Garstang skipper’s shot whiz narrowly past the post as the game began to open up.

The visitors had another chance to level in the 29th minute when Poole robbed former Wigan Athletic midfielder Ian Kilford on the bye line before feeding the ball across the Fulwood goal line, Dodd just failing to get the important touch.

Garstang were in danger when Mullan skipped past Louth but somehow the ball spurned up into the grateful arms of Brindle.

The Garstang keeper was in action again when he tipped a McDonald shot wide before reacting quickly to keep out a close range effort by Blackwell. As the half came to an end Phillips was booked for hauling down Dodd on the edge of the box the resulting free kick by Crossley being well saved by Hawksworth.

Garstang were under the cosh in the early stages of the second half. a crunching tackle by Crossley on Bowen earned the Garstang centre back a booking.

Naylor’s shot grazed the post then Brindle did well to keep out a McDonald strike. Garstang responded, Fawcett did well providing Dodd with another good opportunity but he shot wide.

On 62 minutes, McDonald was booked for a foul on Helliwell then Manager Swan sent on Hastings for Louth the change almost bearing fruit when Hastings shot over.

Crossley prevented Garstang from going further behind with a good tackle on Mcdonald as he was about to pull the trigger.

On 75 minutes, Williams replaced the tiring Dodd and on 80 minutes, McEvoy replaced Anderson.

Fulwood substitute Jaques secured the points for the home team when he riffled home after the Garstang defence had opened up.

Fulwood: Hawksworth, Hull, Slater, Kilford, Phillips, Blackwell, Bowen, Naylor, Mullan, McKenna, McDonald. SUBS: Bryson, Jaques, Nagy, Richards, Iddon

Garstang: Brindle, McGahon, Louth, Owen, Crossley, Taylor, Helliwell, Fawcett, poole, Dodd, Anderson. SUBS: McEvoy, Hastings, Williams, Middleton