Forest Green Rovers 2 Morecambe 2: Shrimps' stoppage-time strike earns them a point

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
An injury-time goal from Carlos Mendes Gomes earned Morecambe a deserved draw at Forest Green Rovers.

Mendes Gomes scored his 12th goal of the season five minutes into added time to give Derek Adams’ side a dramatic and well earned point.

The Shrimps looked to be heading for defeat after Jamille Matt had given Forest Green the lead 11 minutes from time with a close-range header, very much against the run of play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Not for the first time this season, the Shrimps battled to the death and Mendes Gomes headed home Yann Songo’o’s deep cross after beating home keeper Luke McGee to the ball.

Carlos Mendes Gomes grabbed Morecambe's injury-time equaliserCarlos Mendes Gomes grabbed Morecambe's injury-time equaliser
Carlos Mendes Gomes grabbed Morecambe's injury-time equaliser

Adams had stuck with the side that beat Carlisle United at the weekend for the game against a team who started the day one place and two points ahead of them in the League Two table.

It was Morecambe who started the brighter with Aaron Wildig forcing McGee into a neat save and Cole Stockton heading a John O’Sullivan corner wide before the home side hit back.

Aaron Collins tested Kyle Letheren with a shot from 20 yards that the keeper saved well to his right.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Letheren could do little though as Forest Green took the lead in the 10th minute with a fine strike from Collins.

The former Morecambe striker took the ball on the right-hand side of the area, and after a great first touch, turned swiftly and drilled a superb volley past Letheren.

The home side had a golden chance to double their lead on 20 minutes when Kane Wilson broke clear into the box, but could only find the side netting when he should have hit the target.

He was made to pay two minutes later when the Shrimps levelled.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A long ball forward found Stockton and the striker took the ball down superbly before turning smartly past two markers and drilling a low shot under McGee.

The game continued to swing from end to end with Stockton heading a Wildig free-kick wide, while Wildig and Mendes Gomes both fired over.

The second half saw the Shrimps dominate the chances with Sam Lavelle volleying straight at McGee, Stockton flashing a shot off target and O’Sullivan heading over from six yards.

It looked as though Adams’ players would be left to rue those missed opportunities when Matt put the home side ahead for the second time but they battled to the end and collected a fully deserved point.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Forest Green Rovers: McGee, Godwin-Malife, Stokes, Bernard, Wilson, Cargill, Whitehouse, Wagstaff (Bailey 66), Collins, Davison (Richardson 65), Matt. Subs not used: Hutchinson, Allen, Young, Thomas, Hallett.

Morecambe: Letheren, Mellor (McAlinden 87), Lavelle, Davis (Cooney 87), Gibson (Hendrie 64), Diagouraga, Songo’o, O’Sullivan, Wildig, Mendes-Gomes, Stockton. Subs not used: Halstead, Pringle, Denny, Price.

Referee: Trevor Kettle.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here

Related topics: