Exeter City 1-1 Morecambe

Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.
Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.

Morecambe picked up a controversial point at Exeter on Tuesday night.

The Shrimps survived an injury-time penalty scare when referee Andy D’Urso originally awarded the home side a spot kick but after several minutes of conversation changed his mind and awarded a free-kick for an Exeter dive.

Unfortunately the Shrimps players were so incensed at the original decision that a fracas took place that ended with Jamie Devitt being sent off.

The visitors had earlier come from behind to take the point with Padraig Amond scoring a fine goal.

Devitt provided the through ball and Amond produced a low finish to beat home keeper Christy Pym for his eighth goal of the season.

Amond almost grabbed a winner on 75 minutes when he created space for himself in the box but saw his shot cleared off the line by Scott Bennett.

Exeter took the lead in the second minute through Tom Nichols.

The Morecambe defence failed to deal with an Exeter attack down the left and the ball fell to Nichols 12 yards out who had far too much time to pick his spot and fire past Barry Roche.

The home side continued to look the sharper and they created a number of half chances against a sluggish Shrimps.

Morecambe keeper Roche had to be at his best to hold on to an effort from Mat Grimes and then palmed away a stinging long-range effort from Eliot Richards.

Jim Bentley’s side had a brief spell on top themselves with Jack Sampson almost found by Devitt’s excellent ball and Amond drilling a shot well wide from an acute angle when he should have done better.

The half ended with Exeter forcing the pace again with Arron Davies heading over and testing Roche again with a curling shot that the keeper tipped over at the second attempt.

It is a result that means the Shrimps have still not won in 2014, but the point moves them up to 13th in League 2.

Exeter: Pym, Butterfield, Bennett, Coles, Woodman, Sercombe, Grimes, Oakley (Gill 79), Davies (Wheeler 60), Richards, Nichols (O’Flynn 79). Subs not used: Hamon, Moore-Taylor, Keohane, Parkin.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, McCready (McGee 64), Hughes, Threlfall, Fleming, Wright, Williams (Drummond 64), Devitt, Sampson (Ellison 79), Amond. Subs not used: Arestidou, Diagne, Doyle, Redshaw.

Referee: Andy D’Urso.

Attendance: 2,620.