Dodwell inspires Cartmel

AFTER two weeks of near inactivity the league got back to playing football, although nearly half of the fixtures were cancelled due to icy conditions.

Of the games played in the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup second round the often cancelled tie between Trimpell and Cartmel finally took place.

The game was close throughout, both sides had early chances although the more experienced Cartmel had the edge in possession.

As the game wore on it became obvious that Cartmel were going to win and with goals from Matthew Dodwell (2), John Mason and Joel Drinkall they were just too much for Trimpell, who replied with goals from the impressive Liam Brown.

In the third round Cartmel will be away again, this time to Division Three side Burton Thistle.

In the 848848 Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup second round, the game between Marsh United and Carnforth Rangers looked to be a goalless draw as both sides huffed and puffed but could not find the net.

The first 70 minutes of the game saw neither side capable of scoring until Carnforth got the break when they were awarded a penalty from which Mark Plevey scored.

Within minutes Marsh found the back of the net when Scott Tremble equalised.

The game came really alive in the last five minutes when three goals were scored, two by Carnforth from Vernon Middleton and Daniel Syson.

The one goal for Marsh was scored by Chris McMenamin. This win puts Carnforth into the semi-final where they will play Bowerham/Furness United.

In the Premier Division, Bowerham moved up to second place after overcoming a stern test against a Caton side that is sliding towards the relegation zone after a promising start to the season.

The game started with Caton in the ascendancy and looking capable of causing an upset.

In the 25th minute though Bowerham had a slice of luck to take the lead, a mix up in front of goal gave Ed Turner a half chance which he took as the Caton keeper tried valiantly to claw the ball out of the net.

Caton stuck to their game plan of shooting at every opportunity but never tested the keeper.

Then, in the 40th minute, a cross from the right wing into the area was mis-kicked by a defender with the ball running kindly to Matthew Smith, who from eight yards made no mistake to level the scores.

The second half saw Bowerham get more into the game and look more dangerous while Caton continued to shoot every time they got near goal.

As the game wore on it looked as though a draw would be the fairest result but as fitness started to tell Bowerham raised their game and with it the winner, scored by Turner, with just 12 minutes remaining.

With just four minutes left Caton almost snatched a draw, but Tommy Lund’s chip over the keeper hit the bar and dropped on to the goal line and was cleared with no attackers near by.

See the Lancaster Guardian (16-02-12) for full story.