Crewe 2-1 Morecambe

editorial image

MORECAMBE boss Sammy McIlroy was fuming after seeing the Shrimps go down to a 93rd minute Clayton Donaldson goal on Good Friday.

McIlroy was left furious as Crewe’s top scorer was left all alone in the penalty area to head Lee Bell’s hopeful punt into the box past Barry Roche in the third minute of injury time.

It was a goal that saw the Shrimps once again lose a lead and was indicative of their disappointing season so far.

The Shrimps’ boss said: “It was a shocking goal to give away. Donaldson is their biggest threat and everyone knows that and we left him all alone.

“Nobody took responsibility once Andy Parrish had to go off and that is hard to stomach.

“We played really well for most of the game and had the better chances throughout but couldn’t get the second goal we needed.

“In many ways it was the story of our season where we dropped points we should have had.”

Morecambe were on course for a third win in four games after Garry Hunter gave them the lead on 58 minutes with his first goal of the season.

Substitute Scott Brown crossed from the right to the far post, Phil Jevons played the ball back into the box and Hunter turned sharply to strike the ball past Rhys Taylor from six yards out.

The Shrimps then went close to a second. The Crewe defence hesitated as the ball was played into their box and Jimmy Spencer nipped in between defender and goalkeeper to stab the ball goalwards but the ball seemed to take an age to come down and Adam Dugdale was able to clear off the line at full stretch.

The Shrimps lost Parrish to a foot injury and that seemed to be the turning point.

Alex raised their tempo and left winger Joel Grant suddenly burst into the game with Will Haining moving back to the centre and he was to play a major part in the Alex levelling the scores with 20 minutes to go.


Grant let fly with a low shot from 20 yards which Roche could only parry into the path of Donaldson who volleyed the ball home from close range.

The Crewe crowd, who had been abusing their own players before this, found their voice and got behind their team with Donaldson making sure they went home happy with his excellent header as both Jimmy Spencer and Andy Holdsworth argued over who should have been marking him.

Morecambe started the game slowly and were almost went a goal down in the opening minute when Danny Shelley just failed to connect with Grant’s cross before Donaldson headed wide from a corner moments later with the Shrimps looking ragged.

But then the Shrimps settled and went on to have the better chances.

Andy Holdsworth tested Rhys Taylor from distance and then Phil Jevons fired a long-range effort just wide of the left-hand post.

Drummond forced Taylor into a decent save scrambling to his left and Chris McCready headed a Kevan Hurst corner wide.

Spencer missed the best chance of the first half when he headed another Hurst corner wide when he looked sure to score.

Morecambe: Roche 6; Haining 7, McCready 6, Parrish 7 (Brown 56), Cowperthwaite 6; Hunter 6, Drummond 7, Holdsworth 6, Hurst 7 (Bentley 73); Jevons 6 (Carlton 73), Spencer 6. Subs not used: Shuker, Wilson, Aley, Walker (GK).

Crewe: Taylor, Tootle, A R Westwood, Dugdale, Blanchett; Miller (Clayton 67), Bell, Shelley (Mitchell-King 90), A M Westwood; Donaldson, Grant. Subs: Phillips (GK), Ada, Moore, Sarcevic, Powell.

Referee: C D Sarginson.

Attendance: 3,614

Star man: Kevan Hurst: Worked hard and caused Crewe problems.