Carnforth title favourites after latest wins

Carnforth Rangers' Damo Murphy.
Carnforth Rangers' Damo Murphy.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division the leading three team – Carnforth Rangers, Caton United and Ingleton – all recorded comfortable wins.

Carnforth travelled to Lancaster Rovers and were too good on the day, although Rovers did play well with Lee Brade getting on the scoresheet.

Carnforth played some very good controlled football throughout and at times were unplayable with the goals being scored by Cameron Holmes, Phil Meeks and leading scorer Damien Murphy with two.

After beating Ingleton midweek Carnforth, with just four games left, are now be favourites to win the title again.

Caton United travelled to play Bentham in a game both sides needed to win – Bentham to keep alive their faint hopes of avoiding relegation and Caton to keep in the race for the Premier title.

Bentham’s defence made too many mistakes and crashed to defeat, losing 4-0 with Tom Lund Joe Bouskill (2) and Guy Spence scoring the goals for a dominant Caton side.

Ingleton brushed away the challenge of Storeys and pushed them nearer to relegation after showing no mercy on them by winning 5-1.

The game was as one-sided as the score-line suggests. Storeys, after a good 3-0 win in mid-week, must have thought they had a chance of at least getting a point against Ingleton.

However, that faded shortly after the start of the game when they realised that Ingleton were on top form and with Jack Brennan, Aaron Woodhouse, Joe Towers, Steven Haveling and Seb Best all scoring good well-worked goals.

Storeys did manage a consolation goal scored by David Wightman but it leaves Storeys in a relegation place and facing a fight with Bowerham to see who goes down with Bentham.

In the Sam Price Memorial Cup semi final Cartmel and District crashed out after losing 3-2 to Trimpell and Bare Rangers.

Jamie McMeekin opened the scoring for Trimpell with a superb solo effort and eight minutes into the second half Aidan Dunphy made it 2-0 following a goalmouth scramble.

Graham Rhodes gave Cartmel a lifeline but Andrew Forbes finished off a Trimpell counter attack to restore his team’s two-goal advantage. Matthew Burrows then made it 3-2 but Trimpell hung on.