Carnforth Rangers beaten in LFA Cup


The second round of the Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup brought disappointing results for two local sides.

Carnforth Rangers fancied their chances against Preston side Fulwood White Hart but despite having more chances they could only manage one goal, scored by Byron Nixon.

The Fulwood side battled their way to win with their never say die attitude.

Caton United also went down, losing 2-1 to Penwortham Town, another side from Preston.

The first half was spoilt by a gusty wind which stopped good football from being played.

Caton started better than their opponents and had a good chance inside the opening two minutes but Nathan Jackson’s shot from eight yards was easily saved by the keeper.

Other chances came and went for Caton without really troubling the keeper.

The game turned slightly in favour of the visiting side when Caton lost their keeper after just 30 minutes following a clash with the centre forward.

Still, Caton created more chances but free headers in front of goal went flying wide.

In the last minute of the first half Penwortham almost snatched the lead when a shot for goal went just wide with Lee Marshall the stand-in well beaten as the shot also just evaded the onrushing forwards.

Within two minutes of the restart and playing into the wind Caton took the lead when Jackson made amends for his earlier misses to score.

Within two minutes Penwortham were level. A cross into the centre was headed into his own goal by Jacob Davies after trying to clear, giving Marshall no chance.

Penwortham then went into a 2-1 lead 90 seconds later after a Caton defender needlessly gave away a free-kick near the corner post.

The kick into the six yard box was not cleared and the ball went directly into the net.

The visitors played much better after this with some good football being played mostly on the floor while Caton tried the long ball tactic which didn’t work for them.

After a poor start to the season last season’s champions TIC Dynamos/Overton/Middleton are starting to find the kind of form that won them the title.

They travelled to the Blackburn area to play New Church and came away with an emphatic 4-1 and thoroughly deserved win.

Robert Goldsborough scored two excellent goals, Stefan Dixon and Mark True added the others.

Their reward for this win is an away game against Fulwood White Hart.

Lancaster Rovers also progressed to the third round with an excellent 3-0 win over Aldermere from Manchester.

The Rovers were always the better team and could have won by more.

Jake Harrison was at the heart of the action and rounded off a good display by scoring one and making one for Simon Gillespie, Joshua Lancaster added the third.

Their reward for this win is another long trip, this time to play Tyldsley from the Manchester area.

The league’s third win out of the seven fixtures was gained by Division Two leaders Mayfield United.

They entertained Vauxhall Inn from the Blackburn area and after a hard fought game won by the only goal of the game scored by Rikki Ball.

The win was fully deserved with Mayfield having just the upper-hand for most of the game although at times they rode their luck.

Their reward is another home tie, this time against Howe Bridge Mills.

The third round of this competition will be played on Saturday, November 2.