Carnforth hammer hopeless Highgrove

North Lancs Football.
North Lancs Football.

League leaders Carnforth Rangers comprehensively beat Highgrove 6-0 in the only game to beat the weather in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Premier Division.

As the scoreline suggests the free-flowing football of Carnforth was too much for a Highgrove who are struggling at the bottom.

They had no answer to the brilliance of Damien Murphy who scored four excellent goals.

He was helped by every single one of his team mates – full back Andrew Taylor and fellow striker Byron Nixon scored the others, assisted by Murphy.

This win puts Carnforth nine points ahead of second placed Caton United with just 10 games remaining.

They are also the Premier Division’s leading scorers with 44 goals and can also boast the meanest defence with just 10 goals conceded from 16 games.

In Division One, just one game was played and that was between leaders Moor Lane and Westgate Wanderers.

Westgate were playing their first match since December 14 and it showed.

Moor Lane played the better football on a soft pitch and deservedly won 4-1 although Westgate made them fight all the way for the win.

The scorers were Joe Oldrieve, Guy Spence, Danny Simpson and the goal of the game was from George 

Chris Carter scored the lone goal for Westgate.

Moor Lane extended their lead at the top to nine points ahead of second placed Heysham.

In Division Two, Boys’ Club entertained Ingleton Reserves on a very good playing surface considering the 
recent bad weather.

Both sides had spells of supremacy when they threatened to run away with the game, but neither side could keep on top and a draw was probably the fairest result after James Short had scored both goals for Boys’ Club.

Stuart Leeming scored an own goal with veteran Jonathon Boadle also claiming the goal, but there was no doubting his second goal which was a cracker.

The two points lost was a blow for Boys’ Club’s hopes of bouncing back to Division One as they now trail second placed Burton Thistle by two points.

A young Marsh United Reserves side adapted well to the heavy conditions and improved as the game progressed against Morecambe Gold.

Marsh deserved the 4-0 win, only their second in the league so far this season.

Wayne Beswick, Chris McMenamin, Ricardo Sozzi and Damien Walsh scored the goals.

In Division Four, just one game beat the weather and that was between Heysham Reserves and Arnside 

Heysham took the lead after just four minutes when a long shot was too hot for the Arnside keeper to 

Jamie McGowan was first to react and snatched the ball before the keeper could recover and stabbed it into the net.

It was Arnside who scored the next goal when David Robinson found the equaliser just before half-time.

The second half was just as good as the first and again it was Heysham who scored to take the lead when 
substitute Tom Jupp beat the keeper with a well-placed shot.

Arnside piled on the pressure as they tried to get back into the game but with time running out and Heysham looking to be in control they conceded a corner in the last minute of the game.

Arnside sent everyone forward and veteran Edward Harte equalised with terrific and very rare headed goal as the Heysham defenders stood and watched.

nThe Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Team of the Month Award for January has been won by Carnforth Rangers.