Cameron makes Holme advantage count with brace

Carnforth Rangers celebrate their Lancashire Cup triumph.
Carnforth Rangers celebrate their Lancashire Cup triumph.

Holders of the Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup Carnforth Rangers got proceedings under way with a hard-earned but thoroughly deserved 3-1 first round win over Fothergill and Whittles.

At times Carnforth outplayed the visitors and it was star player Cameron Holmes who showed his quality by scoring two very good goals with Damien Murphy scoring the other to send them on their way again. Struggling Bowerham pulled off a surprise when they beat Barrow Wanderers in a titanic game played at a fast pace from start to finish.

A lot of mistakes made by both sides helped to make it the game it was with goals flying in at both ends, Luke Foxcroft starting the scoring for Bowerham with Geoff Crossley adding a brace. John Foxcroft also found the net 

Caton United took their 100-per-cent start to the season to Preston to play 
Wilbraham Club and in what was a hectic game they came out on top thanks to man of the match Guy Spence .

On the day Spence was unplayable as he hit a superb 

The final goal was a penalty converted by Liam Jeffreys to make the final score 4-2 and maintain Caton’s perfect start to the season.

Division One side Freehold entertained Accrington Amateurs and came away with a 5-2 victory.

Freehold soon made light work of proceedings, going into a 3-0 half-time lead thanks to goals from Grant Walters, Richard Simister, and man of the match James 

The visitors hit back with two goals but Freehold then stepped up a gear and two finely taken efforts by Richard Chambers and Ian Palwankar, made the final score 5-2.

College AFC played exceptionally well to beat a determined Castle Hill side who started strong but soon faded.

Goals soon came for the College and at the end ran out easy 6-2 winners thanks to goals from Paul Grear (2), Aaron Caldwell, Alan Davies, Ryan Pinnington and Danny Whittingham.

Millhead travelled to play Ather/Leigh and although beaten 2-1 at the end they played the hosts off the park at times.

However, it was Millhead’s failings which cost them the game as they missed chance after chance until David Cowperthwaite finally put the ball in the net, but by that time the game was already lost.

Marsh United bowed out of the competition against St Judes from Wigan.

Marsh always looked a threat when going forwards but their defence looked vulnerable throughout.

Two goals scored from Wayne Beswick and Jack Beaton were never going to be enough and it turned out that way when the Wigan side responded with a three goal blast to knock Marsh