Bury 0-1 Morecambe

Shaun Miller’s late goal saw Morecambe cause their second shock of this year’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy to reach round three.

Tuesday, 6th October 2015, 1:05 pm
Bury v Morecambe - Shrimps Live

Miller’s second in two games after good work from Jack Ryan was enough for The Shrimps to dump out League 1 high-fliers Bury having done the same to Walsall in round one.

The visitors battled hard in the first period before going through the gears after the break, Miller’s goal on 81 minutes ending Bury’s seven-game winning streak and handing Jim Bentley’s side a first win in five.

Paul Mullin and Lee Molyneux brought comfortable early saves from Shakers stopper Rob Lainton as the game started in torrential rain at Gigg Lane.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Alex Kenyon then blazed a shot high and wide when he should have done better in an open start in Greater Manchester.

At the other end Bury were playing some menacing football without much to show for it, Danny Rose hooking over Joe Riley’s cross from the right.

It was increasingly a game low on chances, Jamie Devitt seeing a good opening go to waste as he failed to find his feet with just the last man to beat on the half hour.

Rose then got on the end of a second cross 10 minutes before the break but could only head Danny Mayor’s centre narrowly wide.

On the stroke of half-time Barry Roche was forced into a good low save from Chris Hussey’s whipped free-kick.

It was job well done for The Shrimps at the interval and they started the second half brightly, Mullin bending a shot from the corner of the area over the bar.

Morecambe were growing in confidence and came within a whisker of taking the lead on 55 minutes, Lainton saving Ellison’s close-range effort with his legs after Miller’s initial shot had been blocked.

Bury were always a threat though, Tom Pope heading wide after a good run and cross from substitute Craig Jones.

The visitors then needed some brilliant defending to stay level with Ryan Edwards on hand to head Pope’s goalbound header off the line with Roche beaten.

It was turning into an end to end contest as both sides looked for a winner, Lainton equal to Ellison’s well-struck 20-yard free-kick on 70 minutes.

Roche was the busier of the two goalkeepers though saving well as Tom Soares headed Danny Pugh’s corner towards the top corner.

But it was The Shrimps who got their noses in front nine minutes from time.

Ryan showed great strength to outmuscle Reece Brown and in on goal had the composure to square for Miller to put the ball into the empty net.

A Bury onslaught in search of an equaliser didn’t materialise with Jones’ effort on the stretch that went over the closest the hosts came as Morecambe beat the side who knocked them out of the competition at the same stage last year.

Bury: Lainton, Riley (Jones 46), Cameron (capt), Brown, Hussey (Pugh 46), Sedgwick (Soares 58), Burgess, Hope, Mayor, Pope, Rose. Subs not used: Dudley.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (capt), Edwards, Parrish, McGowan, Kenyon, Goodall, Molyneux (Miller 46), Devitt, Mullin (Ryan 78), Ellison. Subs not used: Thompson, Bondswell, Bailey.

Booked: Goodall

Referee: Mark Brown

Attendance: 1,508 (171 away)

Shrimps Live is the home of our Morecambe FC coverage this season with live match updates and breaking news throughout the week.

Join the debate on Twitter using #shrimpslive