Burscough 2-1 Lancaster City

Lancaster City bowed out of the league cup with a 2-1 defeat at Evo-Stik First Division North bottom side Burscough on Tuesday night.

Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 11:08 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:13 pm
Ryan Winder.

Dennis Sherriff’s double either side of a Ryan Winder penalty for the Dolly Blues was enough to end City’s cup interests for the season.

Phil Brown’s visitors started the game on the front foot, seeing one effort cleared off the line from an early corner.

Lancaster were soon behind however on eight minutes, Sherriff getting his first of the night with a low shot to the right of Luke Raybould, the young stopper getting a chance between the sticks with Mike Hale rested.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Dolly Blues looked to get straight back in the game and were nearly level with Adam Sumner’s free-kick sailing just wide.

It was Winder though who brought about the leveller on 25 minutes.

The midfielder went on a run into the box and was felled with the hosts feeling the penalty was a soft one awarded by referee Jack Nield.

It mattered not though as Winder picked himself to equalise from the spot.

Louis Mayers, leading the line in the absence of Jordan Connerton, then saw a couple of chances go just the wrong side of the post.

As the other end the hosts nearly went into the interval in front with Sherriff seeing his low drive go agonisingly wide.

Burscough and Sherriff weren’t to be denied though, the league’s bottom side regaining their advantage 10 minutes into the second half.

A free-kick a little more than 20 yards out took a deflection which wrong-footed Raybould to make it 2-1.

City then had chance after chance as they looked to take the game to extra-time.

Mayers did have the ball in the net but was adjudged to have fouled his defender and the goal was chalked off.

The Burscough defence stood tall and threw their bodies in the way of several shots as despite corner after corner, a goalline clearance deep into stoppage time ensured the hosts moved into the second round.

Burscough: Burgess, Hill, McNally, Quansah, Hollett (capt), Holmes, Gilroy, Doyle, Sherriff, Jackson, Townsend. Subs: Vaughan-Muscat, Smith, Watts, Prescott, Nevitt.

Lancaster City: Raybould, Gregory, Westwood, Mercer (capt), Sumner, Akrigg, Carney, Winder, Davidson, Waters, Mayers. Subs: Hale, Clark, Crolla, Wills.

Referee: Jack Nield

Attendance: 50