Barrow AFC 1 Morecambe 2: Shrimps move back into the play-off positions with away day victory

Morecambe sealed their first win in five games to move back into the play-off spots in League Two.

By Derek Quinn
Saturday, 20th February 2021, 5:45 pm

Kelvin Mellor was the unlikely matchwinner with an excellent strike on 66 minutes, which came just a minute after Scott Quigley had levelled Aaron Wildig’s first-half goal.

Shrimps boss Derek Adams named the same side that lost at Bradford City in midweek and they started the game on the front foot.

Wildig had the first chance of note on seven minutes when he clipped an effort just off target before Cole Stockton drilled a free-kick just wide.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Kelvin Mellor grabbed Morecambe's winning goal

Morecambe continued to look the more threatening and went close to taking the lead on 23 minutes.

A superb free kick from Carlos Mendes-Gomes hit the post with Stockton seeing his effort from the rebound well saved by home keeper Josh Dixon.

The Shrimps were not to be denied for long, however, as they took the lead a minute later with a well-worked goal.

Stockton provided a pinpoint cross with the outside of his right foot for Wildig to head home from close range.

Stockton had a chance to double the lead just before the half-hour when he was played in on goal, but his first touch was too heavy and allowed Dixon to save at his feet.

Barrow provided their first moment of any threat on 32 minutes when a corner was headed wide by James Jones.

The Shrimps maintained the pressure at the start of the second half and created a number of good chances.

Stockton and Wildig both shot straight at Dixon, who did well to deny Mendes-Gomes from close range after he had created an opening for himself.

Barrow raised their game at the same time and Morecambe keeper Kyle Letheren produced a superb save to tip a shot from Josh Kay against the post.

However, he was unable to stop the Bluebirds from levelling on 65 minutes with a well-taken goal from Quigley, who made the most of Liam Gibson’s poor defensive clearance.

The Shrimps hit back from that disappointment within 60 seconds. The ball was played up to Stockton, who held it up well and threaded a pass through to Mellor who calmly beat Dixon.

Barrow pushed bodies forward to try and get back into the game but the Shrimps restricted the home side to just one chance.

Letheren got down well to save an effort from Dion Donohue as Morecambe took victory and moved to within one point of the automatic promotion spots.

Barrow AFC: Dixon, Eardley (Bramall 85), J Jones (Goodridge 46), Davies (Thomas 85), Brough, Barry, Banks (James 66), Donohue, Kay, Devitt, Quigley. Subs not used: Lillis, Nthle.

Morecambe: Letheren, Mellor, Lavelle, Knight-Percival, Gibson (Hendrie 84), Diagouraga, Songo’o, O’Sullivan, Wildig, Mendes-Gomes, Stockton (Slew 78). Subs not used: Halstead, Cooney, Lyons, Denny, McAlinden.

Referee: Thomas Bramall.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here