Barnet 0, Morecambe 0

Jim Bentley
Jim Bentley

Morecambe bounced back from their disappointing FA Cup exit against Dagenham with a battling draw at Barnet.

After a 4-2 cup defeat which boss Jim Bentley labelled as “disastrous’’ the Shrimps showed a spirit and determination sadly missing against Dagenham to pick up a well earned point.

As the half drew to a close Shaun Beeley cut inside from the right and tested Stephens again with a shot from the edge of the box but the keeper saved easily.

Bentley made five changes to the starting line up for the game after the Dagenham “disaster’’ as he called it and the new boys did well to restrict the home side to only one clear chance.

Bentley made five changes to the starting line up and they had the better of the first half with the wind behind them.

Although Morecambe didn’t create a catalogue of opportunities themselves they did create the best chance of the game and, as video evidence showed after the match, had a goal disallowed for the tightest of offsides.

Despite plenty of effort it took half an hour for either side to create a chance and it was Morecambe who struck first.

Paul Mullin produced a fine run down the right hand side and produced a perfect low cross to the far post for Tom Barkhuizen but the striker’s shot was superbly saved by home keeper Jamie Stephens.

The game’s most controversial moment came two minutes later when the Shrimps had a goal disallowed.

Lee Molyneux saw a low shot superbly saved by Stephens low to his left, Barkhuizen slotted home the rebound but was flagged offside.

The second half was a different affair as Barnet played with the winds at their back.

Josh Clarke had a great chance to open the scoring on 47 minutes when left free at the far post but Barry Roche raced from his goal to make a smart block.

Two minutes later Michael Gash, a player who the Shrimps tried to sign a few seasons ago, clipped a shot from a well worked free kick inches wide before John Akinde wasted the Bees’ best chance of the game when he broke into the box but volleyed wide.

Clarke threatened again on 52 minutes with an effort that Roche saved comfortably and that proved to the final moment of real threat from either side as both sides failed to master the conditions.

Morecambe had one effort of any note when Paul Mullin cut in from the left and curled an effort that flew just over the bar as both sides settled for the point.

BARNET: Stephens, Johnson, N’Gala, Nelson, Yiadom, Clarke (rep Muggleton 85), Weston, Champion, Gambin (rep McLean 79), Akinde, Gash (rep Batt 69). Subs not used: Hoyte, Togwell, Odoffin, Mckenzie-Lyle.

MORECAMBE: Roche, Beeley, Parrish, Edwards, McGowan (rep Wilson 42), Goodall, Fleming, Barkhuizen, Molyneux (rep Kenyon 79), Ellison, Mullin (rep Miller 79). Subs not used: Thompson, Devitt, Wildig, Doyle

Ref: F Graham

Att: 1,632.